• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So busy wrestling with code and databases that I forgot to sort anything out for dinner. Fish fingers, chips, and beans seemed the easiest way to address the matter

Comment

TFBSZ
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

One more day and there's only three weeks left

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Rosy-fingered dawn behind Sainsbury's Local. But enough of local gossip

Comment

Morning all clear blue skies and a very pleasant dog walk earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Getting rid of superfluous esteemed clients?
              Sadly not.

Superfluous databooks & such like.

I spent much of the last fortnight doing the same thing at home due to the downsizing of the Strangelove estate from two houses to one.

Strangelove is truly uninspired by the comparison between the effort he has put in to this (non stop since Good Friday) with the approximately 3 hours (total, 1.5 hours x 2) expended by the purchasers of said property.

My colleague (triple bypass 7 years ago) suffered from his first angina attack for a number of years following yesterday's little expedition.

Stone me, I'm knackered.

Strangelove Towers are now crammed to the ceiling and garage with assorted junk that need sorting & taking either to the dump or to a random charity shop as the case may be.

And, just to celebrate the sunshine, the pollen count has increased sufficiently for me to take the first antihistamine of the season.

It's downhill all the way to mid July.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 April 2018, 08:36.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

A question (or two) for Doctor Love...
                I have 4 old solar mole repellers, where water has got into them and the batteries are rusted (they all have 1 or 2x AA size 600mAh batteries). I suspect the circuits have gone pop too. But I'm looking at the solar panels and thinking that they are probably still OK.

1. Do you think I can just stick a fluke across the terminals and what sort of voltage would I be looking at?
                2. If they work, should I wire them in parallel or in series?
                3. Any fun projects I could do with them?

I've got a solar panel controller, but it's designed for 12/24V, 10/20A so I suspect these things aren't going to kick out enough to even light an LED on it.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  A question (or two) for Doctor Love...
                  I have 4 old solar mole repellers, where water has got into them and the batteries are rusted (they all have 1 or 2x AA size 600mAh batteries). I suspect the circuits have gone pop too. But I'm looking at the solar panels and thinking that they are probably still OK.

1. Do you think I can just stick a fluke across the terminals and what sort of voltage would I be looking at?
                  2. If they work, should I wire them in parallel or in series?
                  3. Any fun projects I could do with them?

I've got a solar panel controller, but it's designed for 12/24V, 10/20A so I suspect these things aren't going to kick out enough to even light an LED on it.
                  No reason why you can't just stick the fluke on to see if they work.

I think serial connection might be better.

The trouble with solar panels is that if one bit doesn't work then it stops all the rest from working.

Dunno about fun projects.

I just do Global Thermonuclear War, really.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Mass egress of the permies - they’re having a barbecue in, bizarrely, the car park of ClientCo’s data centre over in a nearby town

And a busy day for me, as of about half an hour ago. A feature I worked on last August, which had never been incorporated into the version of the thing used in production by the admin people because it didn’t seem urgent to include it, has suddenly become urgent for various reasons

But as all this stuff gets specified on the basis of “They’ll probably want it to do something like…” it is, of course, not quite, or even much, what is needed. So I need to take the bits and re-engineer them into something that integrates in a completely different way with the rest of the system, hopefully without breaking the existing functionality as they’ll need that later. Deadline: this afternoon

No biggie

Anyway, I’m not letting that get between me and lunch. Another beef sarnie and crisps today

Comment

Decided to scrap the solar panel idea, for now.

Instead, the esteemed tech team have failed to do work today or answer emails/phone calls, so when I was supposed to be in a meeting with them, nothing happened. I decided to take a lunch break.
                      The rabbit which has started to appear in our garden was nibbling on grass. I felt it was time to get rid of it. Line it up dead centre on the sight. Exhale. Squeeze. Miss. Rabbit jumps away, disgusted.
                      Then I remember that I haven't dialled in the sight yet.
                      Spent half an hour dialling in. Worked out I probably missed the rabbit by about 1m short and 75cm to the left. Now dialled in and I should be able to take out his eyeball at 30m.
                      Or to put it into more realistic terms, that's the equivalent of hitting a 700x25C tyre as it comes towards you at around 120m.

Comment

Working...
                      X