• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home!

This morning's journey in was marred by a delay on the A14 due to a lorry with a burst front tyre. It was one of those heavily-built things with a crane on the back, which normally cause problems anyway because all the other lorries overtake them.

And then there was another broken-down lorry blocking the inside lane of the A14-A141 junction. Hours of fun

Anyway, coming back just involved a completely unexplained coming-to-a-halt for a minute or so on the Northants-Cambs border.

I'll be glad when it's this time tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Here's why I'm not a project manager...
      Last week the business leads asked for a list of tasks and the order they should do them, along with a list of what I'd be working on.
      I produced two lists. 18 lines in total - 10 for them, 8 for me, all nicely numbered.
      One list had "Business" at the top, the other had "Systems"

After a one hour phone call with a PM, this is now a spreadsheet with 7 columns. These are:
      1. Who is doing the work (it says Business or Systems),
      2. What the work is (my original list)
      3. What dependancies there are (should be by number, but no, he put a description and names against each one)
      4. Who is supporting the work (always Systems)
      5. More detail on what the work is (looks like column 2 but with extra words)
      6. Notes (column 2, column 5, plus a bit extra)
      7. Date (at one point this contained further notes, but is now a date. Not a due date, not an end date, mostly a start date)

Not only is it full of repetition, but you have to scroll across the screen to see things. Want to see what is due next week? Well, we can't sort by date because then we lose the order they are in, since we're not numbering them. So, look at the date, then scroll to the left a little to see the notes. Then I point out that I just want to see what the work is, because then I'll know what we're talking about.

/rant
      Just be thankful it's not a powerpoint thing
      and i find with PM's
      if you can't blind them with science, baffle them with bullsh*t!

Comment

Will see if I can make it beyond 9pm today. :jetlag:

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          :sigh:

wednesday

:sigh:
          Yep hump day (or date night if you are a yank).

next week off though!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Recording went well, - knackered now though, steak pie, chips and peas for dinner, purely for medicinal/recovery reasons of course

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Here's why I'm not a project manager...
              Last week the business leads asked for a list of tasks and the order they should do them, along with a list of what I'd be working on.
              I produced two lists. 18 lines in total - 10 for them, 8 for me, all nicely numbered.
              One list had "Business" at the top, the other had "Systems"

After a one hour phone call with a PM, this is now a spreadsheet with 7 columns. These are:
              1. Who is doing the work (it says Business or Systems),
              2. What the work is (my original list)
              3. What dependancies there are (should be by number, but no, he put a description and names against each one)
              4. Who is supporting the work (always Systems)
              5. More detail on what the work is (looks like column 2 but with extra words)
              6. Notes (column 2, column 5, plus a bit extra)
              7. Date (at one point this contained further notes, but is now a date. Not a due date, not an end date, mostly a start date)

Not only is it full of repetition, but you have to scroll across the screen to see things. Want to see what is due next week? Well, we can't sort by date because then we lose the order they are in, since we're not numbering them. So, look at the date, then scroll to the left a little to see the notes. Then I point out that I just want to see what the work is, because then I'll know what we're talking about.

/rant
              I feel your pain.

One of our systems gives us a view of what is currently happening not history, as there are about 500,000 new items in play each day and they can go through 10 - 20 different stages each, you can imagine looking at the open items once a day is not really going to cut it. I recommended that the system give us transaction logs we can read as & when.

I explain this with pictures & raw data which sort of explains why most of time the data in our system looks absolutely unlike their system.

my colleagues spent all day looking at it then concluded maybe we should read the view a couple of times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Petrol station lunch day

Except I went to the new Morrison’s instead. Pros: cheaper petrol, and pay-at-pump. Cons: have to walk further to get my, as opposed to the car’s, lunch.

Next week I might try passing on the pay-at-pump and see what food there is in their petrol station shop. If need be, I’ll have to accept the extra 4p or so per litre and go back to BP/M&S.
                Homemade Vegetable soup for lunch, its getting better with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Homemade Vegetable soup for lunch, its getting better with experience.
                  Haven't tried that, - is it a herb or a sauce? - can you get it in tesco's or do you have to trek to M&S ?

Comment

Chicken and chips for tea - remains of the slow-cooked one from the other day, and very nice too

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Will see if I can make it beyond 9pm today. :jetlag:
                      Got there. Calling it a day.

Comment

Working...
                      X