• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another day of boredom ends.

Comment

Cycle kit still wet from this morning. At least it is not soaking.

Comment

I have requested more w*rk.....

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Had a discussion with a user over the last 3 days, he wants a change to a certain object. It's a fairly major change, so I wanted to make sure I had got all his requirements correct. I took what we had discussed and turned it into a high level design doc and discussed it with the development manager. He understands what is required, but he also knows the user, so asked me to get confirmation from the user that the document covered his requirements.
          The user has replied to me: "can you show me the new version, then I'll let you know if it meets my requirements"

Your guy wants to work in an Agile manner - as opposed to trying to think of everything he wants upfront, commit to it and then find it is not quite what he wanted.

Or to put it another way - is the goal to produce a nice high level spec, detailed requirements, a colourful gant chart, excellent weekly progress reports with traffic lights and deliver something within a falsely created time and cost constraint - or do you want to deliver software that actually adds value?

Obviously a rhetorical question - as you want the second part but i will guarantee the whole process is set up to deliver the first part.

Comment

Laundry part I done. Laundry part II has commenced.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Your guy wants to work in an Agile manner - as opposed to trying to think of everything he wants upfront, commit to it and then find it is not quite what he wanted.

Or to put it another way - is the goal to produce a nice high level spec, detailed requirements, a colourful gant chart, excellent weekly progress reports with traffic lights and deliver something within a falsely created time and cost constraint - or do you want to deliver software that actually adds value?

Obviously a rhetorical question - as you want the second part but i will guarantee the whole process is set up to deliver the first part.

He's had 6 months to think of everything, and is now coming back with further requirements.
              I am trying to get him to commit to his current requirements, but he, probably hoping to be a PM one day, is trying to renege on all recent discussions and basically say "you go and do what you want, then I'll let you know if it's right or not". I've created the spec to give him something that he can then say "yes, that is what we talked about" or "no, that's not what we talked about".
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Morning denizens

Well, nearly morning - I seem to be sleeping longer at the moment, and I like to take my time in the shower

It was chucking down with rain when I awoke briefly at eight, but now it's a bit better - cloudy, but with some patches of blue showing through a grey haze

I may go for a haircut this afternoon, though I offer no guarantees.
                What is this "haircut" of which you speak?
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                  What is this "haircut" of which you speak?
                  A thing that never happened

Comment

or, 'that which was postponed' ?

Comment

test posting

Comment

Working...
                      X