• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are fecking students and thick ones at that.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Time for a film, I reckon

I must remember I need to be up fairly early in the morning.

Comment

TFBSZ
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          They are Esteemed Customers and thick ones at that.

Comment

Are they Welsh & from Swansea?

This evening's entertainment began with "Who do you think you are" with Ruby Wax, which was intriguing and upsetting.

No wonder she's half barmy.

This was followed by 3 of the 4 possible NZ Motorway patrol things, Zeity now being almost word perfect having seen them all before.

This was followed by "84 Charing Cross Road" with Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins, rather before he began eating people.

It was very good, and very touching.

84 Charing Cross Road (1987) - IMDb

It's amazing how poor the country was after the war, and the kindness of an American lady sending food parcels to people she'd never met in a second hand bookshop.

Rationing finally ended in 1954.

We'd Never Had It So Good came along in 1957/8ish.

The comparison with the wealth of the septics was striking, but not in an Arfur Skargill sort of way.

$2500 for dentistry in 1953!

Feck me!

Sad that Helene Hanff never met Frank Doel, but there you go.

This was followed by S1E16 of "Person of Interest" which was much lighter in tone.
            Last edited by zeitghost; 7 October 2017, 23:14.

Comment

84 Charing Cross Road (1987) - IMDb

Comment

Tonight's movie mania was The Expatriate (2012) - IMDb: the usual thing about a retired CIA operative being set up for a fall by rogue elements in The Company and having to flee and then fight back, the twist on this occasion being that the person he flees with is his teenage daughter, who (of course) had always been told he was a boring civil servant type. Oh, and it was set in Belgium, which probably counts as "exotic" to American audiences

It was pretty good as that kind of thing goes, I thought

I've never seen 84 Charing Cross Road but I read the Readers Digest condensed version of the book when I was about… well, I don't know, but maybe twelve or so? My Uncle John used to get the Readers Digest and it was probably in one borrowed from him, so some time in the early 1970s, as the book came out in 1970. And I've walked past where the shop used to be many times, as Yahoo! Europe is just around the corner on Shaftesbury Avenue. I ought to read the uncondensed book, as well as see the film.

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all heading back to civilisation today. Biggest decision will be: 303 or 35
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'd go for the 7.62x51 or the .338 lapua rather than the .303.

Ballistics are better.

.357 is nice, if a bit light, there's always the .40 or the .44 as an option.

Comment

Morning denizens

Looking a bit Simpsons out, though at the point where the clouds have started to part but haven't yet completed their manoeuvre

I shall now spend the remaining time before I have to set off down south drinking my coffee, and calculating how long it is until I have to set off down south

Comment

Working...
                      X