• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You know you’re a contractor when ..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fzbucks
    ..... you don't know who cheryl in HR is.

They're all good but that one I like the best..
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You know that NIC means something else , in addition to net interface card.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked

Your workstation is the laptop attached to the table in the coffee room of the training suite, and your config. management is a USB stick
        You have all the documentation on your home server.

You use that instead of the client's documentation server because

a) it''s faster
        b) you've got it indexed
        c) you've got examples which actually work
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
          I think it's the 'requesting' bit he sneers at.

He probably goes in Diva-ish with a long purple scarf DEMANDING to work from home...
          Sorry I didn't come back sooner on this one, but I've been looking for a decent purple scarf! I laughed so hard I nearly wept when I read that. Love it!

We're in Light Relief, but it's amazing how touchy people can get on working from home. Personally, I'd love to try but I'm not 100% sure I'd have the discipline, and it's moot anyway as my current client is a stickler for bums-on-seats.

I'd love to go in Diva-ish but I tend to find the extensions dry up on those kind of people. Keep your head down and do the client's bidding (workwise!) and you should be ok...

Comment

On the subject of working from home, at my last contract renewal time, I suggested to my client that I work from home for 10 hours a day but only invoice for 8 hours. I suggested a trial period of 2 months working 1 or 2 days a week from home. My job is 100% desk based, I have a laptop with all the support tools I need, 8Mb broadband. I believed that the 2 hours a day wasted travelling could be better used supplying a service to my client. The money I would save in travelling costs would easily cover the 2 hours working for free. No surprise then when they turned down the offer. I asked why the client was happy to move a large part of their IT support to India - 5,000 miles away but not to North Hamshire, only some 20 miles away - "No comment" was the answer! Nice to see IT departments making use of moden technology and trying their best to reduce congestion, CO2 emmisions, etc - NOT!!

Comment

Funny - almost exactly the same situation here. Trial period, 2 hours/day extra free, even discounted rate... The irony was that a good part of the work involved running offshore developments (spec, delivery, issue busting etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman
                You have all the documentation on your home server.

You use that instead of the client's documentation server because

a) it''s faster
                b) you've got it indexed
                c) you've got examples which actually work
                No you'er a Super Contractor, I think you need your own Super Contractor thread.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

You're paid more than three teachers.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Finding last months expences reciepts is the most important thing in your life
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X