• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy Schemes - War Stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Many of us on this forum have tried to persuade people away from these schemes over the last few years but they still keep springing up every day leaving more contractors vulnerable to their sweet talking.
    And in your case, presumably having to deal with more than a few accusations of scaremongering to encourage more PAYE-umbrella business.

Comment

I don't think that Lisa needs to scaremonger. She doesn't scare people out of going Ltd if that's what they want.

And she asked permission before posting this thread.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I don't think that Lisa needs to scaremonger. She doesn't scare people out of going Ltd if that's what they want.

She may not scaremonger but the only reason she posts on here is to attract business

Comment

Originally posted by vern19 View Post
          She may not scaremonger but the only reason she posts on here is to attract business
          Nope. I know for a fact she has answered many questions on here both publicly and via PM... And I would imagine by the time people have arrived here they are probably wise enough to know the options and create a limited company..

As Lisa stated she is effected by these schemes as she sees customers ask for information, look at potential difference in money and take the (unexplained) risk. Especially as the more unscrupulous providers are explicitly not requested DOTAS numbers and trying to hide everything from HMRC.

Finally, I have to ask why you are so against someone trying to put people off joining these schemes. Especially as you seem to have used them in the past. I would have thought you would have learnt your lesson by now, if not, I'm sure the forthcoming accelerated immediate payment letter will focus your mind.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If you look back at Lisa's posting history I think you'd struggle to find her promoting her business to any extent if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Nope. I know for a fact she has answered many questions on here both publicly and via PM... And I would imagine by the time people have arrived here they are probably wise enough to know the options and create a limited company..

As Lisa stated she is effected by these schemes as she sees customers ask for information, look at potential difference in money and take the (unexplained) risk. Especially as the more unscrupulous providers are explicitly not requested DOTAS numbers and trying to hide everything from HMRC.

Finally, I have to ask why you are so against someone trying to put people off joining these schemes. Especially as you seem to have used them in the past. I would have thought you would have learnt your lesson by now, if not, I'm sure the forthcoming accelerated immediate payment letter will focus your mind.
              I have no particular axe to grind regarding Lisa's posts but if you think she posts on here because of her altruistic nature then you need to wise up a little bit.

I have used an EBT scheme in the past and certainly would not use one again or recommend anyone else to use one.

Regarding accelerated payment letters focusing my mind, I am not heavily exposed and am in the process of settling the relatively small taxable amount so APNs will not affect me personally.

I would advise you not to make assumptions in future.
              Last edited by vern19; 26 May 2014, 15:00. Reason: sp

Comment

I have no particular axe to grind regarding Lisa's posts but if you think she posts on here because of her altruistic nature then you need to wise up a little bit.

I have used an EBT scheme in the past and certainly would not use one again or recommend anyone else to use one.

Regarding accelerated payment letters focusing my mind, I am not heavily exposed and am in the process of settling the relatively small taxable amount so APNs will not affect me personally.

I would advise you not to make assumption in future.
                I don't need to wise up as I know what her business is and know that posting here is (in some small way) marketing for her.

As for assumptions the only one I made, when replying to you, was that you are a foolish ass which your post above merely confirms...
                Last edited by eek; 26 May 2014, 19:03.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I don't need to wise, up as I know what here business is and know that posting here is (in some small way) marketing for her.

As for assumptions the only one I made when replying to you was that you are a foolish ass which your post above merely confirms...
                  Oh death, where is thy sting

Comment

Oh death, where is thy sting
                    I'm right here, and I can sting at any time...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

...and to be brutally honest - if we can keep another victim away from the current raft of dodgy schemes then it's a pretty worthwhile exercise.

Comment

Working...
                      X