• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry Letters for Choice Premier / Berwick Associates/ Runnymede Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you adubya,
    I have sent an email and on line enquiry for membership to wtt group. IS there a quicker way to join big group as well. I need to reply back to HMRC before 17/01/2017 and transfer my case from MJK to WTT.
    Regards

Comment

Originally posted by shevlane View Post
      Hi all,

Yesterday I received an enquiry letter from HMRC regarding work through the Choice Premier / Berwick Associates scheme.

Has anyone else worked with these guys and/or received a letter?

If so, please get in touch... I would be very interested in working together on this.

Thanks,
      - Shevlane
      Hi Shevlane
      I worked through CP in 2012-14 and currently MKJ&co are dealing with my case. I also received the letter from HMRC on 18 Dec asking me to contact HMRC directly. I would like to work together on this. Not sure what everyone else is doing. Let me know ho to contact you.
      Regards

Comment

Who to believe.....

Very interesting to read some of the disparate opinions around how best to deal with HMRC enquiries. Interesting also to see commercial organisations openly marketing their services; is that actually allowed here?

There are many contractors who certainly do not fit the definition of 'rich', hence they simply and genuinely cannot afford to throw countless thousands of pounds in the direction of so-called experts who claim to know best. I am aware of a few contractors who were only in affected arrangements for a matter of months, yet have seen any potential tax liability now almost (if not already) surpassed by years of fees they have been charged in representation!

I for one am now very confused as to how/why contractors feel they will be advantaged/disadvantaged by which outfit represents them in moving towards resolution/closure of an enquiry? I've seen some folk citing urgent deadlines to sign up to particular defence groups, suggesting that somehow those who don't will lose out?

Any person without an ulterior (i.e. commercial) motive please correct me if I’m wrong but, even under the recently 'tweaked' version of its Taxpayers Charter, it is reasonable to conclude HMRC will be held - by the courts, if necessary - to its historic obligation to treat any one taxpayer "in the same way as other taxpayers in similar circumstances.”

Comment

Originally posted by Centrick View Post
          Very interesting to read some of the disparate opinions around how best to deal with HMRC enquiries. Interesting also to see commercial organisations openly marketing their services; is that actually allowed here?

There are many contractors who certainly do not fit the definition of 'rich', hence they simply and genuinely cannot afford to throw countless thousands of pounds in the direction of so-called experts who claim to know best. I am aware of a few contractors who were only in affected arrangements for a matter of months, yet have seen any potential tax liability now almost (if not already) surpassed by years of fees they have been charged in representation!

I for one am now very confused as to how/why contractors feel they will be advantaged/disadvantaged by which outfit represents them in moving towards resolution/closure of an enquiry? I've seen some folk citing urgent deadlines to sign up to particular defence groups, suggesting that somehow those who don't will lose out?

Any person without an ulterior (i.e. commercial) motive please correct me if I’m wrong but, even under the recently 'tweaked' version of its Taxpayers Charter, it is reasonable to conclude HMRC will be held - by the courts, if necessary - to its historic obligation to treat any one taxpayer "in the same way as other taxpayers in similar circumstances.”
          Yes, with vetting, commercial organisations have been allowed here under moderation. I wouldn't expect charities to do this kind of work.

Contractors want different resolutions- most want to settle, some want to fight on. Which organisation they choose will depend on that.

And as for HMRC being held to account for anything depends on them being taken to court in the first place. If you're a contractor on your own you certainly won't have the funds to do that.

And as to how they treat the taxpayer - have you not read this forum? http://forums.contractoruk.com/showthread.php?t=118506
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Centrick View Post
            On face value it's correct. However, as with most things, it's not as simple as that.

"Similar" is a subjective thing. HMRC can (and will) argue that the circumstances are not similar.

Will the courts allow this argument - maybe, maybe not. No-one can tell you an absolute 100% answer.

Comment

Personally I'm highly sceptical that Big Group, or anyone else for that matter, can achieve a reduced settlement.

Think about it. What's in it for HMRC to settle for less than 100% now, when they'll be armed with the loan charge in 2 years time?

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                Personally I'm highly sceptical that Big Group, or anyone else for that matter, can achieve a reduced settlement.

Think about it. What's in it for HMRC to settle for less than 100% now, when they'll be armed with the loan charge in 2 years time?
                Well they sure as well won't if nobody tries...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

HMRC Settlement Letter

Hi All
                  I to have received a letter from HMRC about Choice Premier scheme asking to contact them by 17th Jan to get tax affairs in order. Personally I am not interested in paying into groups to fight this case so I am planning on contacting HMRC directly to settle.
                  In the letter they have stated that any fees paid to Choice Premier cannot be claimed as to quote 'they were expenses not incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade as defined in Section 34, Income Tas Act 2005'
                  This does not seem right as I believe you can claim accountants fees so why not fees paid to Choice, has anyone any thoughts on this or have challenged this already with HMRC?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comment

It's like football - if you never shoot at the goal, you'll never score.

Big Group was from the very beginning and remains today a low cost collective that relies on numbers to generate sufficient fees to pay for the advice required.

We have never claimed that we have a guaranteed winning solution nor that we will achieve a lower result than HMRC calculates. Such certainties are beyond our gift to bestow and indeed beyond the reach of all advisers.

So your choice is to roll over and accept the treatment HMRC deems is appropriate or to explore the options available and apply some objective thought and subjective feeling to what is on offer. If nothing appeals, then settle now with HMRC or wait for 2019.

All I can say is that Big Group members subject our plans to detailed scrutiny and questioning, we do our best to answer honestly and without embellishment and the result is a strong cooperative.

I appreciate that you have a message that you want to spread over several different threads (as is your privilege) but if you have a bone to pick with Big Group, it might be easier to focus it on that thread and we can debate it there for the convenience of everybody?
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

HMRC Settlement Letter

Hi All
                      I to have received a letter from HMRC about Choice Premier scheme asking to contact them by 17th Jan to get tax affairs in order.

In the letter they have stated that any fees paid to Choice Premier cannot be claimed as to quote:-

'they were expenses not incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade as defined in Section 34, Income Tas Act 2005'

This does not seem right as I believe you can claim accountants fees so why not fees paid to Choice, has anyone any thoughts on this or have challenged this already with HMRC?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comment

Working...
                      X