• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Consultative Document - marketed tax avoidance schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boobetty View Post
    Totally agree, which is why I mentioned this case in an earlier post in this thread. To be fair the ruling made a point of saying that the presence of the SRN wasn't the only factor in dismissing HMRC's appeal. However, it set an important precedent that when considering 'information made available' within the context of s29(6), the presence of the SRN on the return is sufficient to alert the 'hypothetical officer' to the contents of generic information provided by the scheme provider (in this case the AAG1 - one of the forms required for DOTAS disclosure - which provides detail on the tax thinking behind the scheme).

In manu's case I wonder if there is some deficiency in the DOTAS documentation provided by the scheme provider, and this is why HMRC still feel justified in making their discovery assessment?
    http://www.financeandtaxtribunals.go...51/TC03981.pdf

In particular para 35.

http://www.financeandtaxtribunals.go...32/TC03958.pdf

Pretty much all of it.

Discovery is an expanding area of legal doctrine. Whilst what a judge said 5, 10, 20, 50 years ago has a part to play, in areas like this you need to be aware of what is going on today.

These are lower Tribunal hearings. Discovery as a legal concept (s 29 TMA) is something that higher Courts have shown a keen interest in examining and as such these lower Tier decisions may not stand ultimately. For now though the principles reasoned in the second case in particular are quite worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Boobetty View Post
      In manu's case I wonder if there is some deficiency in the DOTAS documentation provided by the scheme provider, and this is why HMRC still feel justified in making their discovery assessment?
      I doubt it. The use of discovery, where there's an SRN, is widespread across many schemes.

Comment

As far as I can tell, neither of these cases involved an SRN on the returns.

The second case refers to Charlton and the presence of the SRN as a contributing factor.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          As far as I can tell, neither of these cases involved an SRN on the returns.

The second case refers to Charlton and the presence of the SRN as a contributing factor.
          I'd make a couple of comments.

1. I agree the SRN is a contributing factor. I disagree that it is the single most important determinative feature and consider rather that there are other elements to "discovery" that will permit the assessment to be made and defended.

2. Do not bet the mortgage on Charlton. This area of law is evolving and I can see Charlton being distinguished on facts.

The whole point of this particular debate at the moment is just to warn people not to rely upon the one argument, to keep looking for new arguments, to keep your advisers focused and most of all, to NOT place any great hopes on assessments being withdrawn or declared invalid. I think HMRC will find a way here.

I'm not sure that continuing this line is sensible either. We can swap cases all day but we clearly have differing views. Happy to take it offline if you wish?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob79 View Post
            I'm not sure that continuing this line is sensible either.
            Agreed.

HMRC are using discovery so pervasively, where there's an SRN, that either they feel they're on solid ground or they're chancing their arm. I lean towards the latter.

Comment

Thanks guys - I too agree with your view that we may not be on a solid ground. However we have to progress with what is there - don't want to give up fighting without trying. Everything else is already blanketed by the new (blinded by politics) legislation.

If an scheme operator did not submit sufficient details why did hmrc issued an SRN to them to use if they were not satisfied with the details? Any users of the scheme that mentioned the (questionable) SRN should have been informed about the same when hmrc received their SA.

I know all the "Why's" are pointless.

Still haven't heard from the big boys. Maybe they are just holding back on answering any queries and busy gearing up to issue APNs. This would get everyone to shut up and focus on collating money to pay up or go bankrupt lose home/lives.

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              Agreed.

HMRC are using discovery so pervasively, where there's an SRN, that either they feel they're on solid ground or they're chancing their arm. I lean towards the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Manu View Post
                If an scheme operator did not submit sufficient details why did hmrc issued an SRN to them to use if they were not satisfied with the details? Any users of the scheme that mentioned the (questionable) SRN should have been informed about the same when hmrc received their SA.
                The honest answer is because they didn't have to supply anything except the basic details. The process of issuing an SRN is automatic and it was probably several months or years before anybody with a tax brain in HMRC actually looked at the scheme.

HMRC is not obliged to say anything to individual users.

Unfair? Probably.
                Frustrating? Absolutely.
                Illegal? No.

Comment

Another FTT case re Discovery Assessments

Smith v HMRC
                  http://www.taxation.co.uk/taxation/A...covery-too-far

The decision in the First-tier tribunal case of Smith v HMRC appears to have tipped the balance of discovery in HMRC’s favour and may have far reaching consequences for taxpayers achieving certainty on their returns.

Comment

FTT confirms that transfer of assets abroad code is contrary to EU law

http://www.taxchambers.com/wp-conten...isher-ToAA.pdf
                    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Working...
                    X