• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Consultative Document - marketed tax avoidance schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
    My MP is useless (but most of them are!) but I would be more than happy to write to him. Without causing an issue for myself worse that it already is though, what is the best thing to say?
    Something along the lines of -

Dear xxxx,

I have been directed to a consultation document called 'Tackling marketed tax avoidance' (link below). In summary the proposals are for any tax payer in dispute with HMRC to pay the tax estimated by HMRC first and then fight his/her corner in a tribunal. Where as currently the tax payer can appeal and the case may go to court if a settlement cannot be found.

This may well force the tax payer into bankruptcy before they can attempt to justify their position with HMRC in Court. This will certainly destroy families and adversely affect the economy. Meanwhile foreign companies pay corporation tax in the single figures and HMRC do nothing.

I know that when dealing with HMRC the tax payer is assumed guilty and has to prove innocence but this proposal goes way too far.

I would be very interested in your thoughts

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._avoidance.pdf

Yours sincerely,

Comment

It is important to point out that this isn't just aimed at disputes that arise in future.

It would also apply to existing disputes going back to 2004 when DOTAS was introduced. According to HMRC, they have 65,000 of these open cases.

Comment

Originally posted by vern19 View Post
        Something along the lines of -

Dear xxxx,

I have been directed to a consultation document called 'Tackling marketed tax avoidance' (link below). In summary the proposals are for any tax payer in dispute with HMRC to pay the tax estimated by HMRC first and then fight his/her corner in a tribunal. Where as currently the tax payer can appeal and the case may go to court if a settlement cannot be found.

This may well force the tax payer into bankruptcy before they can attempt to justify their position with HMRC in Court. This will certainly destroy families and adversely affect the economy. Meanwhile foreign companies pay corporation tax in the single figures and HMRC do nothing.

I know that when dealing with HMRC the tax payer is assumed guilty and has to prove innocence but this proposal goes way too far.

I would be very interested in your thoughts

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._avoidance.pdf

Yours sincerely,
        thanks for this I shall get writing..

Comment

Support from MP

I have already sent my local MP [Labour] an e-mail regarding our concerns and the lack of natural justice in the proposals. Emphasising yet again the retrospective aspect of them. He immediately responded using the phrase "hugely interesting" and has forwarded my comments and references on to his colleagues in the Shadow Treasury. I will be following up with a visit to see him this weekend. Keep pushing and make them aware of what is going on in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorValiant View Post
            I have already sent my local MP [Labour] an e-mail regarding our concerns and the lack of natural justice in the proposals. Emphasising yet again the retrospective aspect of them. He immediately responded using the phrase "hugely interesting" and has forwarded my comments and references on to his colleagues in the Shadow Treasury. I will be following up with a visit to see him this weekend. Keep pushing and make them aware of what is going on in the background.
            Well done victor. I am going to compile my letter this weekend and get in touch with my MP.
            We all should be doing this as the more MP's who understand the details the better. Clearly we want an end to these ambiguous schemes but HMRC are really going a step too far with these sweeping powers to be judge, jury and executioner all within 90 days!
            If HMRC manage to get this finance bill through I will be leaving the country - not to save money but to live in a country where they don't take liberties.

Comment

Originally posted by lfcynwa View Post
              thanks for this I shall get writing..
              Ok but this is just a suggestion. It would look pretty lame if everyone just copy and pastes

Comment

Ok but this is just a suggestion. It would look pretty lame if everyone just copy and pastes
                Worse than that. It will be noticed by the secretariat and all of them will go in the bin. MPs only respond to individual letters.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Worse than that. It will be noticed by the secretariat and all of them will go in the bin. MPs only respond to individual letters.
                  Rubbish. My MP has responded to me already regarding retrospective taxation

Comment

Rubbish. My MP has responded to me already regarding retrospective taxation
                    Responding to a form letter identical to a few hundred others?

Also, your MP responding means little or nothing. David Gauke (in this government) responding is the target (and yes, I have a couple of letters from the Minister in recent years on various tax-related matters)
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Noted and Thanks

- Yep but a good starting point, I wasn't intending on copying word for word..

Comment

Working...
                      X