• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries EBT - Castlemaine and general questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Template letter for responding to HMRC consultation

NTRT have prepared a template letter for people to respond to the consultation. Please alter it in your own words.

Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

Some people will say it won't count if everyone sends similar letters but HMRC will have to report to the Minister how many responses they got. So every letter does count.

Comment

Last chance to stop the proposed "pay disputed tax upfront" legislation

Dear all

Just a reminder that this weekend is your last chance to respond to the proposed legislation on ‘Tackling marketed tax avoidance’.

As you probably know, the Government intends to introduce an accelerated payment measure which will give HMRC the power to link your tax affairs to another person's case and demand money up front, with no right of appeal.

If HMRC are granted these powers, it will allow them to demand almost immediate payment of disputed tax before you have had the chance to have your case heard at the tax tribunal (FTT).

If you do one thing this weekend, be sure to spend 10 minutes firing off an email to ask that these proposals are rejected. This is your last chance, so don't bury your heads in the sand!

See here for exact instructions... Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

With apologies and many thanks to everyone who has already responded!

Regards

Santa
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

March 2014 newsletter

Just wondered if all the ex Castlemaine/Horizon contractors were happy with the latest AAT newsletter. It seems to have gone very quiet lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Jez123 View Post
          Just wondered if all the ex Castlemaine/Horizon contractors were happy with the latest AAT newsletter. It seems to have gone very quiet lately?
          Not sure to be honest. Reassurances given but questions still arise. I have emailed them a couple of times but got no reply. I'm not sure where I stand at the moment. But I guess that goes for many in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by rufusTfirefly View Post
            Not sure to be honest. Reassurances given but questions still arise. I have emailed them a couple of times but got no reply. I'm not sure where I stand at the moment. But I guess that goes for many in this situation.
            Indeed, I have received the same letter to reassure me that all was in hand but no sign of real progress. I feel like I'm waiting there with a rope around my neck waiting for someone to kick the bucket from under my feet.

Comment

I have spoken with them a few times regarding the investigation letters and satisfied with their answers. They have explained that my appeal has been lodged and that the wait is on for HMRC to respond. HMRC could take some time in taking this any further so it's best to sit back and let the professionals get on with it.

It was explained to me that when all of the letters have been received that the legal team are to push HMRC to make a decision on what they intend to do, if it is to be taken to court then fine as they are 100% sure they will win the case and we will all be able to get on with our lives. If it is not to be taken any further then HMRC will be requested to drop the case so that can all get on with our lives.

I know three people who used Horizon and all have had communication and been informed with progress albeit slow.

Comment

Originally posted by BenDover View Post
                I have spoken with them a few times regarding the investigation letters and satisfied with their answers. They have explained that my appeal has been lodged and that the wait is on for HMRC to respond. HMRC could take some time in taking this any further so it's best to sit back and let the professionals get on with it.

It was explained to me that when all of the letters have been received that the legal team are to push HMRC to make a decision on what they intend to do, if it is to be taken to court then fine as they are 100% sure they will win the case and we will all be able to get on with our lives. If it is not to be taken any further then HMRC will be requested to drop the case so that can all get on with our lives.

I know three people who used Horizon and all have had communication and been informed with progress albeit slow.
                Have they said anything about the APN legislation that is being proposed? It may be that a court date (even pushed for) is going to be a year or two in the future, then appeals etc. In the meantime, you've had to hand over the disputed amount for HMRC to hold onto.

Comment

Originally posted by BenDover View Post

You seem to be a bit behind the times with your research on this.

Read the links in this post:

Originally posted by Manu View Post
                  Hi Guys...here is the latest on the bill being announced in queens speech. Looks like no option left and we have been labelled as guilty - won't even get a chance to appeal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-means-for-you

Queen's Speech: Tax avoiders told to pay up front in new guilty-before-trial law - Telegraph
                  APN stands for Accelerated Payment Notice. I would suggest that you ask your tax advisor about them - you may well get one before the year is out.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

They did mention the APN and said that this could only be enforced where a successful case had been won by HMRC, they did admit that it may not be my individual case as it could be a person on the same structure running through the same company.

They seem very aware of the legislation at the time where I was operating through them and this was mentioned, it seems that although many other companies will not comply with it Horizon will.

Like I said, it is best to let the professionals handle this and not for us to come to any conclusions just yet.

Comment

You might want to read the legislation.

Comment

Working...
                      X