• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    This may go down like a lead balloon here but you don't need to object to every bit of the bill. Explicitly objecting to part of it (say the retrospective bit) may force HMRC to actually think rather than just counting numbers.....
    Trouble is the retro DOTAS bit is what they will want above all else, since that would seriously dent the 65,000 backlog.

They've estimated that the "follower case" part would only target 4,000 individuals over the next 2 years, so it's small beer in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Trouble is the retro DOTAS bit is what they will want above all else, since that would seriously dent the 65,000 backlog.

They've estimated that the "follower case" part would only target 4,000 individuals over the next 2 years, so it's small beer in comparison.
      I've learnt over the years to fight battles carefully. 100 generic complaints about everything is easy to ignore.. 100 complaints about particular bits may result in a compromise / possible delay in implementation to address those concerns..

It also gives your friendly mps the means to ask detailed questions to ensure that compromise becomes prominent in HMRCs mind..
      Last edited by eek; 18 February 2014, 11:18.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Its a valid point eek makes,

The problem is none of the proposals are particularly acceptable, each on their own has the basis of serious concern.

In terms of generic responses, from what I've been hearing many people have not been responding as they simply don't know "what to say". Given a template to work off at least is a starting point, I'm thinking 100 generic responses is better than 0 responses at all? At least when it goes before the government they would need to say how many responses were sent, the fact people took the time to do it at least counts for something.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I've learnt over the years to fight battles carefully. 100 generic complaints about everything is easy to ignore.. 100 complaints about particular bits may result in a compromise / possible delay in implementation to address those concerns..

It also gives your friendly mps the means to ask detailed questions to ensure that compromise becomes prominent in HMRCs mind..
          If the DOTAS proposal makes it in to the budget then NTRT will only campaign against the retrospective element of it.

The idea of making people pay the tax up front in the future is not a bad one because it should kill off all these schemes, and prevent more people getting into hot water.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            If the DOTAS proposal makes it in to the budget then NTRT will only campaign against the retrospective element of it.

The idea of making people pay the tax up front in the future is not a bad one because it should kill off all these schemes, and prevent more people getting into hot water.
            Make sense to me as well to apply DOTAS proposal to new cases.

I would also support if HMRC takes permission from court and take similar case together to court. If courts are ready to consider this approach, it will save a lot of time. Take all contractor EBTs together to court and they can hear them together and decide which ones worked and which ones not. I seriously doubt courts will accept this approach though. One lead case in every scheme I think is the best courts will accept.

Comment

Rangers EBT Appeal Hearing scheduled for 24 February 2014

The Rangers appeal hearing before the Upper Tribunal is scheduled for 24 February 2014 - 21 March 2014. In the normal course of events, you would expect a decision to be published about 6 weeks later. But given the length of time scheduled for the hearing and the importance of the case, it may take a little longer.

This is an important not least because of the publicity it will generate. I would be surprised however if this will be the last hearing on the matter as I would expect it to be appealed further regardless of the outcome.

There are 5 companies involved (only one of which has Rangers in its name.)

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/...s-register.pdf

Comment

Group representation

If you have any desire to pursue group representation please see Norla/Edge Former Employee EBT Self Help Group

Request PM (private message) access if you don't already have it. You can post a request or contact the admins via this page: http://forums.contractoruk.com/sendmessage.php

PM TheDandy here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/priva...=newpm&u=39502
                PM Saleos here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/priva...=newpm&u=41765

then make a decision if you have interest in one or both of the groups and if you are willing to foot the likely costs and advise the organiser(s) accordingly

Simply posting a desire to join a group will not achieve anything.

Sorry for the repetition but I want to ensure latecomers are informed

GS

Comment

Last chance to stop the proposed "pay disputed tax upfront" legislation

Dear all

Just a reminder that this weekend is your last chance to respond to the proposed legislation on ‘Tackling marketed tax avoidance’.

As you probably know, the Government intends to introduce an accelerated payment measure which will give HMRC the power to link your tax affairs to another person's case and demand money up front, with no right of appeal.

If HMRC are granted these powers, it will allow them to demand almost immediate payment of disputed tax before you have had the chance to have your case heard at the tax tribunal (FTT).

If you do one thing this weekend, be sure to spend 10 minutes firing off an email to ask that these proposals are rejected. This is your last chance, so don't bury your heads in the sand!

See here for exact instructions... Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

With apologies and many thanks to everyone who has already responded!

Regards

Santa
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    Just a reminder that this weekend is your last chance to respond to the proposed legislation on ‘Tackling marketed tax avoidance’.
                    Thanks Santa. A similar 'call to arms' has been made earlier today in 'TheDandy' group. Here's hoping for a good level of response.
                    Last edited by Living life on the Edge; 22 February 2014, 00:29.
                    "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Originally posted by Living life on the Edge View Post
                      Thanks Santa. A similar 'call to arms' has been made earlier today in 'TheDandy' group. Here's hoping for a good level of response.
                      Nice one!
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X