• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Not if HMRC get the "follower case" proposal in the consultation.

Then HMRC get to decide what's similar, without going to court.

Everyone really needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
    Not quite true. You would still have the opportunity to go to court (assuming you could afford to having paid the tax HMRC claim to be owed) but you would have to pay the tax first and fight afterwards....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Not quite true. You would still have the opportunity to go to court (assuming you could afford to having paid the tax HMRC claim to be owed) but you would have to pay the tax first and fight afterwards....
      That is true but it's a bit academic if you haven't got the money, which I suspect is the case for a lot of folks.

Also, once HMRC have got the tax, they will drag their heels even more going to court. The last thing they'll want to do is pay the money back.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        That is true but it's a bit academic if you haven't got the money, which I suspect is the case for a lot of folks.

Also, once HMRC have got the tax, they will drag their heels even more going to court. The last thing they'll want to do is pay the money back.
        Remember I am rather restricted in what I can write in these forums. I pulled sarcasm from the comment which rather removed the intended tone

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Remember I am rather restricted in what I can write in these forums. I pulled sarcasm from the comment which rather removed the intended tone
          I guessed you did.

Bottom line is, for many, this new legislation will be game over.

Especially if HMRC get the DOTAS part. I wonder how many of the 65,000 open cases know what's coming their way?

Comment

It will be game over for many, the human cost will be huge and the government will have to pay benefits to those on the bankruptcy pile doubled with lack of tax receipts from those affected.
            I know of contractors still using schemes who refuse to acknowledge there's any problem.
            I expect that apart from a few hundred on this forum the vast (silent) majority are in the dark

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
            Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
            http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
              I expect that apart from a few hundred on this forum the vast (silent) majority are in the dark
              That is what HMRC will be counting on.

There will be people who used schemes 6,7,8,9,10 years ago who have probably forgotten all about it. They probably don't even realise that their case is still technically open.

They will be completely unaware that legislation is going through that could wipe them out.

And HMRC are not going to write to 65,000 and warn them.

Comment

When responding to the consultation is a letter better than email - or should I send both?

Comment

Seeing as I'm one of those who will be wiped out and destined never to work again (any money I earned would go to HMRC which means I would be working for free - a practice made illegal on 1 August 1834) maybe I should start a thread on things to do for the underemployed

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
                    When responding to the consultation is a letter better than email - or should I send both?
                    Email is fine.

Comment

This may go down like a lead balloon here but you don't need to object to every bit of the bill. Explicitly objecting to part of it (say the retrospective bit) may force HMRC to actually think rather than just counting numbers.....

Comment

Working...
                      X