• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm partially involved, as I have had a letter asking for details of loans made in the 10/11 tax year. No demands for money yet, just a basic acknowledgement of the information I sent back to them. I suspect they may be waiting on the result of the 08/09 attack before going down that route. I may of course be wrong, and will take a keen interest in your progress!

Comment

Another recipient of the notice of assessment

Hello everyone. I was also using Edge and have received the Notice of Assessment letter for 2008/09. Suffice to say, Im very concerned.

I spoke to Peter at Advantage Accounts who said they had fielded a lot of calls but were referring everyone to Edge.

I then spoke to Michelle Booth from Edge who has passed me the appeal template and context. I asked about ongoing support from Edge should the situation develop negatively but she was noncommittal.

It sounds like Edge want to see how this plays out for the time being...

Comment

And another ex Edger...

Letter received today, looking forward to speaking to edge tomorrow. My partner's not received a letter yet, but suppose it's just a matter of time now... Will phone round other ex-edgers and get them to register on here.

Read the main thread start to finish tonight, fantastic resource and feeling slightly less crap than I did a few hours ago!

Comment

Originally posted by NTRT View Post
          I then spoke to Michelle Booth from Edge who has passed me the appeal template and context. I asked about ongoing support from Edge should the situation develop negatively but she was noncommittal.

It sounds like Edge want to see how this plays out for the time being...
          I'm guessing that there are a few events to happen before Edge and other employers would want to make a decision

1) The Rangers case needs a conclusion. I think it would be a reasonable request to delay any Tribunals until this case runs its course. I also think/hope that that decision is in the hands of the Tribunal judges not HMRC

2) If Rangers win, I think all affected EBTer's would be writing to HMRC requesting they withdraw their claims. HMRC may choose to tackle individual Rangers employees or players, although that may be futile if their EBT is compliant. If they don't then the question we would be asking is why are we being targetted and not Edge when they went after Rangers and not the employees. Sure the liability can only rest with either the employer or the individual?

3) If Rangers lose then each scheme would look at the ruling and see if Rangers' failures were or weren't applicable. e.g. I think Rangers included dates and amounts of payments in players contracts, whereas Edge did not put any such commitments in our employment contracts. Our loans were discretionary and had to be approved by the trustees first.

4) If at this point Edge still feel there is a strong case in our favour then they need to decide what involvement they will have.

All of this may actually take a very long time (especially if the Rangers case keeps getting appealed to a higher court) which is why HMRC have sent the demands now, so that their opportunity to claim doesn't expire.

All of the above is just a guess though, but in case it's close then for now we should all be cheering "Go Rangers!", even the Celtic fans

GS
          Last edited by GoneSouth; 28 February 2013, 08:48.

Comment

Also employeed by Edge

Hi All,
            Good to have a group thread.

If it comes down to appeal, I would guess that we would be able to form a group rather than have individual appeals so that our costs and HMRC investigation costs could be kept to a minimum...would seem like poor accounting to try and investigate every case individually if we are all part of the same scheme.

I'll contact Michelle today, she has always been helpful, as have the company, so expect as much help as is reasonable in this case,

Thanks,

Bryan.

Comment

Is the HMRC Enquiry Legaa?

The reason I ask is that HMRC have had the information for 2008/09 for almost 4 years - they have accepted the paye and the P11D so surely, prima facie they have accepted the returns. Nothing has changed since that point so why are they using a 'discovery' piece of legislation when there is nothing further that they have discovered?
              Any thoughts?

Comment

Edge support for ex-employees

I spoke to Michelle today. She is very helpful at this stage. I believe Edge is putting up brave front as of now, or else they will loose their existing employees.

But she wouldn't say anything about the next stage. I am not entirely sure if they would support ex-Edge employees through the legal process., though they might support existing employees. What happens when existing employees leave Edge at sometime in future? Will they be in the same boat as us?

I hope everyone got their loan documentation intact, we might need them at some stage.

Comment

Hi All,

Recieved my letter at the beginning of the week. I have sent off the appeal. I'll post up anything I hear....

cheers

Comment

I completely agree

Originally posted by Golfnut View Post
                    The reason I ask is that HMRC have had the information for 2008/09 for almost 4 years - they have accepted the paye and the P11D so surely, prima facie they have accepted the returns. Nothing has changed since that point so why are they using a 'discovery' piece of legislation when there is nothing further that they have discovered?
                    Any thoughts?
                    I completely agree with what you say, I thought about putting this in my reply to the Revenue, but will keep this for a future letter as I guess the important thing is getting the appeal in first. I completed my tax return each year declairing the interest on the loan - I even called HMRC to ask them how I should declare it - and then promptly did as they recommended. There is no further evidence surely, so how can they rely on this legislation? Are there any tax advisers out there who can comment?

Comment

Count me in!

Hi All,

I'm in the same boat, received the letter yesterday and sent off the appeal as per Edge template sent by Michelle, so, put me on the 'list'!

I don't think it makes any difference but I now live abroad, and I'm not planning to go back to the UK except for the occasional holiday. I would be interested to hear if anyone else is in the same position.

Comment

Working...
                      X