• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Of course you're gonna get the unavoidable a**holes that will just regurgitate the Gauke/Osborne rethoric in the hope that you go away quietly and leave them alone (don't!).
    Some get genuinely revolted by the whole thing (Mark Field, MP of City of London & Westminster, comes to mind)
    Most have no idea about the APN/FN legislation, let alone its consequences on non-millionaire,non-celeb, average Joes like us.

At the end of the day, all MPs are supposed to represent us, and should be held accountable.
    If they are being a dick or ignoring you, at the very least, make your dissatisfaction clearly known...
    We exchanged quite a few letters and he is just not interested in the slightest. And don't worry, I made my thoughts known and I certainly won't be expecting a knock at the door when he is out canvassing in the next few weeks!

Comment

Opportunity to participate in an APN judicial review

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post2075534

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        In the scheme, were you an employee of a UK company, employee of an Isle of Man company, self-employed or something else?

Did they say what class of NICs it was (class 1, 4 etc)?

I haven't heard of any other assessments including NICs.
        I was a director of my own Ltd company and the EBT was arranged for that Ltd co. The NICs were class 1.

This week I was sent a county court claim form for NICs. They've added over £10k in interest and £4k for court fees! Am I the only one being chased for NICs?

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
          I was a director of my own Ltd company and the EBT was arranged for that Ltd co. The NICs were class 1.

This week I was sent a county court claim form for NICs. They've added over £10k in interest and £4k for court fees! Am I the only one being chased for NICs?
          You need to get professional advice VERY FAST.

The allegation may be that the money passing out of the company to the EBT and then to you is a form of disguised remuneration to which PAYE should have been applied. If so, then Class 1A and 1B will fall due. As an individual you are liable only for the employee version of NIC but in some cases you might be liable for the whole lot.

Normally HMRC cannot get County Court Judgement for a contested debt (see Cotter). The fact that they have achieved this seems to suggest that assessments were issued, not appealed and therefore fell due.

You must URGENTLY check whether this happened and if so, whether you can bring an appeal out of time.

The £14k in interest and fees buys a lot of professional time.

If you let me know (PM) where you are geographically I'll raid my book of contacts to see if I can recommend somebody.
          Last edited by webberg; 1 April 2015, 17:23. Reason: additions
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            You need to get professional advice VERY FAST.
            The allegation may be that the money passing out of the company to the EBT and then to you is a form of disguised remuneration to which PAYE should have been applied. If so, then Class 1A and 1B will fall due.
            Yes, I think this is what they've been claiming from day one. I thought this was their stance on all EBTs.

I've PM'ed you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
              Yes, I think this is what they've been claiming from day one. I thought this was their stance on all EBTs.

I've PM'ed you.
              All of the assessments I've heard of, apart from yours, have treated the loans as "other income" not earned income. Hence no NICs.

I imagine you are being treated differently because the loans passed through your own UK Ltd Co.

Most users of EBTs were employees of Isle of Man companies set up by the scheme promoters.

Comment

Edge user

I used to be an Edge user and contemplating of joining Saleos. Can a formal Edge user who is with Saleos please PM me.

Comment

hello all, I have just joined the forum and it seems i must be a very late to this party. I need some newbie advice on getting started. ( there will probably be a flood of late arrivals, i cant be unique can i?)

i was a contractor using Edge/Norla from 2004-2007 and after that i switched to an umbrella service. Soon after that i ceased contracting altogether and returned to normal PAYE in a permy job. Yes it might look like i have had my head in the sand, i have been out this game a long time and to be honest i havent kept abreast of these CLSO developments until now.

I got a settlement letter last year that i filed away until january, i then took a deep breath and called HMRC. They said they would send a settlement calculation and this has just arrived, 10 weeks later. The bottom line is they want an amount of money equal to 50% of my current Gross salary. The interest on top is equal to another 15% of my gross annual salary. ( i use this analogy because this reflects the relative financial impact on me)

I see there are 2 groups from which members are probably joining but i dont know their strategys and of course i dont know if they are more geared up for members who have a much larger burden than me.
                  Can i get some general advice on what i should be actively doing right now, other than paying the settlement, or pooping myself.

Comment

FTT notes

Hi all - As we march towards tribunal I took some time to read the guidance notes for appealing to the FTT:

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.u...s/t242-eng.pdf

Section 9 states quite plainly you should initiate dialogue with HMRC and to ask HMRC for a review if still not happy. It is a small point but how many of us have overlooked this? It might just be useful showing the FTT you have at least been open and helpful no?

Section 3 of the actual FTT appeal does ask if you have done this: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.u...s/t240-eng.pdf

This is worth a look too:
                    http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.u...s/t241-eng.pdf

Had a good chat to my accountant - He feels the main point of the current witch hunt is really to simply get people out of these schemes more than anything. He felt that HMRC will be probably defeated in 5-6 years on a technical point but that is just his opinion...

Comment

Joining groups

Originally posted by chr16v View Post
                      hello all, I have just joined the forum and it seems i must be a very late to this party. I need some newbie advice on getting started. ( there will probably be a flood of late arrivals, i cant be unique can i?)

i was a contractor using Edge/Norla from 2004-2007 and after that i switched to an umbrella service. Soon after that i ceased contracting altogether and returned to normal PAYE in a permy job. Yes it might look like i have had my head in the sand, i have been out this game a long time and to be honest i havent kept abreast of these CLSO developments until now.

I got a settlement letter last year that i filed away until january, i then took a deep breath and called HMRC. They said they would send a settlement calculation and this has just arrived, 10 weeks later. The bottom line is they want an amount of money equal to 50% of my current Gross salary. The interest on top is equal to another 15% of my gross annual salary. ( i use this analogy because this reflects the relative financial impact on me)

I see there are 2 groups from which members are probably joining but i dont know their strategys and of course i dont know if they are more geared up for members who have a much larger burden than me.
                      Can i get some general advice on what i should be actively doing right now, other than paying the settlement, or pooping myself.
                      Is the amount they are asking what you would have paid if you were PAYE ?

Comment

Working...
                      X