• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NICs

This may be a can of worms HMRC don't want to open.

If they were to apply NICs to the loans then this would mean they were treating them as employment income.

If it's employment income then, in the first instance, the employer is responsible for PAYE/NICs. Moreover, HMRC should also be going after the employer for employers NICs.

Even if the employer is an offshore company, and is outside the PAYE system, there is legislation that enables HMRC to pursue UK companies in the payment chain for uncollected PAYE/NICs.

It probably suits HMRC's agenda to treat the loans as non-employment income so they can pursue the taxpayer rather than the company.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      This may be a can of worms HMRC don't want to open.

If they were to apply NICs to the loans then this would mean they were treating them as employment income.

If it's employment income then, in the first instance, the employer is responsible for PAYE/NICs. Moreover, HMRC should also be going after the employer for employers NICs.

Even if the employer is an offshore company, and is outside the PAYE system, there is legislation that enables HMRC to pursue UK companies in the payment chain for uncollected PAYE/NICs.

It probably suits HMRC's agenda to treat the loans as non-employment income so they can pursue the taxpayer rather than the company.
      The alternate explanation being that HMRC consider it is the taxpayer who is at fault by setting up an artificial structure so as to avoid paying the taxes owed on their income so they are the target...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

round and round we go......

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        The alternate explanation being that HMRC consider it is the taxpayer who is at fault by setting up an artificial structure so as to avoid paying the taxes owed on their income so they are the target...
        ......a vehicle for avoiding NICs? Bit like a limited company then.......

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
          ......a vehicle for avoiding NICs? Bit like a limited company then.......
          That's why chasing NICs is a lot trickier. Income tax is only owed by one person
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The question is, what are the loans? Are they remuneration received in connection with employment?

If they are, then they should be subject to PAYE/NICs.

Because HMRC are treating them as "other income", and only assessing them for tax, they are letting the employer off the hook for failing to deduct PAYE/NICs and not paying employers NICs.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              The question is, what are the loans? Are they remuneration received in connection with employment?

If they are, then they should be subject to PAYE/NICs.

Because HMRC are treating them as "other income", and only assessing them for tax, they are letting the employer off the hook for failing to deduct PAYE/NICs and not paying employers NICs.
              Fair point. Although I'm sure HMRC will say they are taxing you on the benefit of having the loan which was available to you as income, rather than it being straight earned income itself.

I'm not that sure HMRC really have worked this all out yet; having kicked off the tax grab they suddenly realise that there are also NICs in the frame and they don't have a protocol for that yet. As usual, they are taking what should have been a fairly straightforward challenge and turning it into a Kafkaesque nightmare for all concerned.

While I hold no candle for people trying to duck their responsibilities, it is increasingly ridiculous that several thousand people are going to be stuck in limbo for years to come.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

While I hold no candle for people trying to duck their responsibilities, it is increasingly ridiculous that several thousand people are going to be stuck in limbo for years to come.
                Yes and, trust me, it takes a heavy toll. (11 years of being under investigation; 6 years since BN66)

Whatever the rights and wrongs, there is an argument for trying to settle, putting it behind you and moving on with your life.

HMRC don't care how long it takes. However, your sanity may not be as enduring.
                Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 22 August 2014, 14:05.

Comment

Contractor Helpdesk

.....has anyone submitted the settlement letter to CH for consideration?
                  If so - did they reply.

Comment

I got an email from them to choose from 1 of 4 options re: settlement.

The tone seemed to be they expected everyone to settle

Comment

CH

Originally posted by TonyTucker View Post
                      I got an email from them to choose from 1 of 4 options re: settlement.

The tone seemed to be they expected everyone to settle
                      I got a copy of the email too.

I thought the tone went the other way; i,e why would any body want to settle.....

Comment

Working...
                      X