• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In today's HMRC note it says 43,000 taxpayers will be impacted.

If you total up the number of users in the table on Page 7 of the consultation it comes to 42,800.

So that table pretty much tells us who is on the hit list.

Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs)...........6,300
    Contractor avoidance........................16,000
    Partnership losses.............................12,000
    Stamp Duty Land Tax........................8,500
    TOTAL..........................................42,800

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      In today's HMRC note it says 43,000 taxpayers will be impacted.

If you total up the number of users in the table on Page 7 of the consultation it comes to 42,800.

So that table pretty much tells us who is on the hit list.

Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs)...........6,300
      Contractor avoidance........................16,000
      Partnership losses.............................12,000
      Stamp Duty Land Tax........................8,500
      TOTAL..........................................42,800

Sounds about right.

So to be honest, if somebody were using a DOTAS scheme in the current tax year, they'd be better off taking their chances and not putting it on their self-assessment, as inclusion is a gauranteed tax bill.

I'm not in the position thankfully, but if I were, f@@k-em, i.d keep my mouth shut and run the gauntlet.

As for a lot of these DA's being invalid due to full disclosure being made on the self-assessments, I can see a lot of people going down that route now.

Also, anybody who has decided they won't pay should just empty their bank accounts....then HMRC can't take it.
      Last edited by MrO666; 19 March 2014, 20:09.

Comment

On Politics Front Page - Excellent Article!

Thoughts welcome!

Politics news, UK political features, views and analysis - politics.co.uk

Budget 2014: HMRC can now take money directly from your bank account

Comment

Originally posted by MrO666 View Post
          As for a lot of these DA's being invalid due to full disclosure being made on the self-assessments, I can see a lot of people going down that route now.
          I am sure many of you have strong grounds to contest the validity of those DAs.

The problem is the payment notice is going to force you to pay up before you get a chance to make your case at the FTT.

I bet HMRC knew that when they issued all those dodgy DAs last spring.

Comment

I am sure many of you have strong grounds to contest the validity of those DAs.

The problem is the payment notice is going to force you to pay up before you get a chance to make your case at the FTT.

I bet HMRC knew that when they issued all those dodgy DAs last spring.
            I think if a case is strong enough, I would refuse to pay DA and tell them I'll see them in court........I suspect HMRC will back down on a number of these DA's before it got to court.....after all, they cannot be seen to be wasting taxpayers money arguing cases that even they know they can't win.

Comment

I think if a case is strong enough, I would refuse to pay DA and tell them I'll see them in court........I suspect HMRC will back down on a number of these DA's before it got to court.....after all, they cannot be seen to be wasting taxpayers money arguing cases that even they know they can't win.
              There is virtually no right of appeal to a payment notice. If you don't pay up in the 90 days then you incur a penalty.

Having said that, I wouldn't blame you for telling them to take a hike.

Comment

There is virtually no right of appeal to a payment notice. If you don't pay up in the 90 days then you incur a penalty.

Having said that, I wouldn't blame you for telling them to take a hike.
                I assume though that if the assessment is wrong, and you provide evidence to correct it, then HMRC will have to amend the amount they asking for ?

I mean, if you can show them what the correct figure is, they can't just ignore you and keep demanding what they've assessed it to be can they ?

As for telling them to do one, I guess if your case is strong enough then it's worth the gamble, as assuming you win (or HMRC drop the case before court...which is likely in some of these i'm sure), then any penalty is wiped along with the DA.

Comment

I assume though that if the assessment is wrong, and you provide evidence to correct it, then HMRC will have to amend the amount they asking for ?

I mean, if you can show them what the correct figure is, they can't just ignore you and keep demanding what they've assessed it to be can they ?
                  Correct. The figure being wrong is the only grounds of appeal against a payment notice.

Comment

Correct. The figure being wrong is the only grounds of appeal against a payment notice.
                    Does anybody on here know why virtually every DA is totally wrong ?

I haven't spoken to a single person who's received a DA that was anywhere near accurate.

Surely HMRC of all people must have the details of what was received etc from P11D's ?

Comment

Does anybody on here know why virtually every DA is totally wrong ?

I haven't spoken to a single person who's received a DA that was anywhere near accurate.

Surely HMRC of all people must have the details of what was received etc from P11D's ?
                      Because the actual figure was irrelevant? just that a open enquiry was needed for these measures... or am I being cynical?

Comment

Working...
                      X