• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the subject slightly - has anyone had much communication with PBT schemes with HMRC? I have a payment plan in place with HMRC for my EBT years, yes I succumb to the pressure and letters, trust me I didn't want to but it was putting so much stress on my life I felt trapped into a corner (exactly what they want) please be kind not looking for an argument here just wondering with more recent years if anyone has had anything? Or when anyone thinks this could be looked into? If 2019 looks like the year for everything to be kicking off with loans will this include PBT or just Ebt? Thanks in advance

Comment

It includes all outstanding loans that are part of a disguised remuneration plan.

Quite what or how disguised remuneration is defined is unclear.

From HMRC's perspective the proposed charge is simple because it taxes loans and cares not if you are an employee or self employed. Here however reliance upon "remuneration" may be an issue because the phrase above has been used in the past to apply to employees (it's in Part 7A of ITEPA which deals with employees).

A PBT would usually be for self employed people who don't really have remuneration in the way defined in Part 7A but rather income from their business.

It will be interesting to see how they intend to shoehorn the two together.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Yes when I read it it looked to be referring to employment with the threat of additional measures for other variants.
        When the consultation materials appear hopefully we will know more

Comment

I have APN's from both Hamilton and Penfolds and so far, the scheme are supporting the members (and previous members) - I left as soon as the draft legislation was announced in late 2010 and went LTD Co. I am now PAYE (Since April this year).

Although it seems that the scheme are fighting HMRC, I get a bit confused by all the legal jargon that they communicate with -yes, I know - you will probably say that I shouldn't have signed up for the scheme - I went to the accountant with a view of been set up as Ltd Co but he convinced me that an EBT was a legal method of minimising tax payments.

Anyhoo, I have about £8k in APN's from the two schemes over three years. What is this new nonsense about paying the loans back or paying the tax liability on them - I thought thats what the APN was for?

Can someone explain in laymans terms please?

Do the board think that joining the BIG Group would be useful?

Comment

Catching up

Sorry for double post (in ASIOM thread as well) but arriving to this party late, don't know anyone and am a little nervous.

I've was part of 2006 year scheme. Out of UK since 2009 and not updated contact details since 2013! Can anyone recommend a good advisor that is up to speed with this subject to help me catch up (quickly) on what I assume are some loud and painful demands / APN's etc?
            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazil2016 View Post
              Sorry for double post (in ASIOM thread as well) but arriving to this party late, don't know anyone and am a little nervous.

I've was part of 2006 year scheme. Out of UK since 2009 and not updated contact details since 2013! Can anyone recommend a good advisor that is up to speed with this subject to help me catch up (quickly) on what I assume are some loud and painful demands / APN's etc?
              Thank you.
              Big Group and WTT Consulting.
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

One more disgusted by the HMRC tactics. Won't get into details coz I can imagine how much time they spend on this website and similar.
                Will be joining BigGroup

Comment

Originally posted by woftam View Post
                  Sure PM me your email. Will also add u to a list of potential Aussies who may at some time like to form a group from over here to fight HMRC with Australian law
                  Hey woftam,

Another concerned aussie in Melbourne here, so if you could, please PM me your email address.

Would like to share what info I have etc and see what others are planning on doing.

Cheers
                  snurbs

Comment

Originally posted by snurbs View Post
                    Hey woftam,

Another concerned aussie in Melbourne here, so if you could, please PM me your email address.

Would like to share what info I have etc and see what others are planning on doing.

Cheers
                    snurbs
                    Hi Snurbs
                    You need to get PM access before I can PM you.
                    Ask fo it here
                    Woftam

Comment

Hi snurbs, I've given you the ability to PM now.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X