• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
    Same for me and no previous letters. Out of the blue a demand for over £30k, showing online, waiting for the letter to arrive. From what I have heard it doesn't even show how hmrc arrives at the figure.
    If you pay the money they are asking for i.e. £30K does this mean the matter is closed and settled?

Comment

APN Update

Received another letter from HMRC, indicating that they are planning court action to allow bailiffs to come and seize my goods. Is this scare tactics, or should I be worried? It all seems to be going rather fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocaster View Post
        Received another letter from HMRC, indicating that they are planning court action to allow bailiffs to come and seize my goods. Is this scare tactics, or should I be worried? It all seems to be going rather fast.
        Both.
        This letter is part of their very rude "nudge tactics". However it doesn't mean you should sit back and pretend nothing is happening.
        I don't know your specifics, but I'd suggest you get some professional advice.
        And if you are serious about resisting the racket, there is Big Group.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          Both.
          This letter is part of their very rude "nudge tactics". However it doesn't mean you should sit back and pretend nothing is happening.
          I don't know your specifics, but I'd suggest you get some professional advice.
          And if you are serious about resisting the racket, there is Big Group.
          Thanks, I'm in the process of joining just now. I wish I'd looked when this all started.

Comment

Originally posted by Safe View Post
            If you pay the money they are asking for i.e. £30K does this mean the matter is closed and settled?
            No.

The APN is a payment on account of the final liability that still has to be agreed.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              No.

The APN is a payment on account of the final liability that still has to be agreed.
              I don't think it's APNs these guys are receiving. Sounds more like discovery assessments (30 days to pay or appeal).

People need to be clear, precisely what it is they have received, when they say they've had a "demand" from HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                I don't think it's APNs these guys are receiving. Sounds more like discovery assessments (30 days to pay or appeal).

People need to be clear, precisely what it is they have received, when they say they've had a "demand" from HMRC.
                Mine is definitely a discovery assessment, does anybody know what the suitable grounds for appeal are? What the wording in the response should be? I notice somebody's appeal above was rejected as it didn't match the required criteria?

Comment

Originally posted by mpj View Post
                  I notice somebody's appeal above was rejected as it didn't match the required criteria?
                  I think that was an APN, not a DA.

DAs are easy to appeal and request postponement. I think there are simple templates further back in this thread.

APNs are extremely hard to challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    I think that was an APN, not a DA.

DAs are easy to appeal and request postponement. I think there are simple templates further back in this thread.

APNs are extremely hard to challenge.
                    I agree, I appealed my APN, and got a reply "we've noted your appeal, cough up" to paraphrase..

Comment

Originally posted by Nocaster View Post
                      I agree, I appealed my APN, and got a reply "we've noted your appeal, cough up" to paraphrase..
                      Please note, you can't appeal an APN. You can only make a representation based on why you feel the APN doesn't meet any of the conditions set.

You can appeal a DA and that will be postponed until they make their next move !!!!
                      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Working...
                      X