• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing opened years - is this possible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing opened years - is this possible?

Hi,
    I'm not sure where to put my question. Maybe a lovely moderator could move it for me if this is the wrong spot please.
    We have open years 05/06/07. And closed years prior to that.
    Is it possible to get open years closed (to avoid the interest) and how does one do that?
    Many thanks.

Originally posted by Clairol View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not sure where to put my question. Maybe a lovely moderator could move it for me if this is the wrong spot please.
    Is it possible to get open years closed (to avoid the interest) and how does one do that?
    Many thanks.
    When you say they are "open" do you mean that your accountants haven't closed off your company books, or are you saying there's an open HMRC investigation on them?

For either situation, your first port of call should be your accountants.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hi,
      Many thanks.

My understanding is the 2019 Loan Charge will *not* recognize any closed years starting from 1999...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        When you say they are "open" do you mean that your accountants haven't closed off your company books, or are you saying there's an open HMRC investigation on them?

This should be in the HMRC Scheme Enquiries forum. That would answer your question.

And it will be personal tax returns with open enquiries due to tax scheme memberships - to which the answer will be no unless all the tax (and fines) HMRC believe are due have been paid and the tax payer is no longer party to any tribunal case..
        Last edited by eek; 14 September 2017, 10:09.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

An "open" year is one with an enquiry that has not been settled.

The only ways to close the enquiry are to reach agreement with HMRC or have a Judge decide the correct position.

If your primary concern is interest charges and you don't want to settle on HMRC terms, you should go and buy a Certificate of Tax Deposit.

You can search for that on line.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The latter and sadly I don't have an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherContractor View Post
              My understanding is the 2019 Loan Charge will *not* recognize any closed years starting from 1999...
              HMRC told me on the phone that if the loan charge comes in open and closed years will all qualify for NI, Interest and Tax.

I also understood they will be able to charge for upto 20 years ago.

Hence they are incentivising (by not adding NI and allowing tax bands to be used) to settle Tax & Interest on open and closed years prior to Loan Charge coming in.

Comment

HMRC told me on the phone that if the loan charge comes in open and closed years will all qualify for NI, Interest and Tax.

I also understood they will be able to charge for upto 20 years ago.

Hence they are incentivising (by not adding NI and allowing tax bands to be used) to settle Tax & Interest on open and closed years prior to Loan Charge coming in.
                Interest? That conflicts with Webberg's comment in other thread (http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...reporting.html) he says no interest.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
                  Interest? That conflicts with Webberg's comment in other thread (http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...reporting.html) he says no interest.
                  IF closed years are caught in 2019 then it is unlikely HMRC can charge interest/penalties on them, because they had not queried them or put them under investigation previously.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    IF closed years are caught in 2019 then it is unlikely HMRC can charge interest/penalties on them, because they had not queried them or put them under investigation previously.
                    IF - is there a question mark over this? Again Webberg seems to think they are caught (and he seems to be very knowledgeable!)

Comment

Working...
                    X