• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP Greg Mulholland. EBT mis-selling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP Greg Mulholland. EBT mis-selling

Hello Folks, I came across this article and will certainly be writing to my MP to ask for their support on this motion.

LibDem MP Greg Mulholland has tabled an early day motion calling for HMRC to review the tax treatment of those using avoidance schemes which have been challenged. 27.04.17
    https://www.cchdaily.co.uk/mp-wants-...scheme-victims

EDM link here
    Early day motions by Member for 2016-17 - Mulholland, Greg - UK Parliament

Link to find your local MP if anyone wants to do the same:-
    Contact your MP - UK Parliament

Since parliament reports to HMRC I can't see this getting anywhere.

NTRT tried very hard with a lobbying campaign and got nowhere.

An MPs early day motion is worth about the same as one of my early day motions after a day of eating fruit.

I hope it will be different this time.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Since parliament reports to HMRC
      No it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Since parliament reports to HMRC I can't see this getting anywhere.
        HMRC report to parliament but only when the relevant minister is asked a question or it involves a select committee.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Were the EBT's actually miss-sold?

Or have HMRC just introduced new legislation that mean they can now issue contractors with a tax bill?

I used a scheme and don't feel I was miss-sold at all. Everything I was told upon joining was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            HMRC report to parliament but only when the relevant minister is asked a question or it involves a select committee.
            No it doesn't.

HMRC is an agency of H M Treasury and reports to the Chancellor.

H M Treasury reports to Parliament.

HMRC is called before Public Accounts Committee regularly (and always deflects the real questions as MPs are more concerned about why the phone is not answered) and reports on certain matters there.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
              Were the EBT's actually miss-sold?

Or have HMRC just introduced new legislation that mean they can now issue contractors with a tax bill?

I used a scheme and don't feel I was miss-sold at all. Everything I was told upon joining was correct.
              Certainly interesting and debatable.
              Claims to the effect of "we are HMRC compliant" and "we are operating within the current legal framework" are some that come to mind.
              If the above was true then why are we all in this situation. If legislation can retrospectively change laws then surely that affects statements that we were sold on as well, it needs to be the big picture not just part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                No it doesn't.

HMRC is an agency of H M Treasury and reports to the Chancellor.

H M Treasury reports to Parliament.

HMRC is called before Public Accounts Committee regularly (and always deflects the real questions as MPs are more concerned about why the phone is not answered) and reports on certain matters there.
                Only on a technicality. Parliament rarely questions HMRC on what they do and how they behave.

Comment

Originally posted by woftam View Post
                  Certainly interesting and debatable.
                  Claims to the effect of "we are HMRC compliant" and "we are operating within the current legal framework" are some that come to mind.
                  If the above was true then why are we all in this situation. If legislation can retrospectively change laws then surely that affects statements that we were sold on as well, it needs to be the big picture not just part of it.
                  "we are HMRC compliant" and "we are operating within the current legal framework"

those were true (and I think/hope still are for the scheme I used)

With regards to retrospective legislation, playing devils advocate here, would it be fair to say that IFA's should cease selling pension and savings products because the rules could retrospectively change? Of course not.

I will admit that if my provider wasn't still around and (currently) helping their clients I may take a different view on things!

Comment

Arguably PAC forced Hartnett to resign over his dealings with a well known bank.

They also managed to spectacularly confuse Ms Homer on a number of occasions.

The big difficulty is that HMRC always has the "taxpayer confidentiality" argument to hide behind.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X