+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Post APNs 200k - is there a safe place abroad to run to?

    Apologies as this has no doubt been discussed in length before but I can't seem to find any clear answer here or via Google on the topic of fleeing to another country where HMRCs powers are limited and they have no power to legally recover what they think is owing against APNs issued.

    The amount I could owe come April 2019 will bankrupt me without a doubt. Becoming bankrupt is the only option on the table for me currently. However immigrating, assuming I can get the required visa's etc is another I'd like to weigh up.

    Is anybody aware of any countries HMRC cannot pursue or recover what they consider to be owing via APNs? Places I would consider are Hong Kong, Moscow, Australia, Canada, Dubai.

  2. #2

    Contractor Among Contractors

    DotasScandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,121
    Thanks (Given)
    130
    Thanks (Received)
    112
    Likes (Given)
    1331
    Likes (Received)
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overit2017 View Post
    Apologies as this has no doubt been discussed in length before but I can't seem to find any clear answer here or via Google on the topic of fleeing to another country where HMRCs powers are limited and they have no power to legally recover what they think is owing against APNs issued.
    So you thought it's best to ask on a public forum notoriously scouted by HMRC? Ok...
    I suspect you're not going to get many answers here. You'll probably have more luck on private forums such as Big Group. I'd suggeste joining when it reopens later this month.
    In the meantime, do your homework on topics such as MARD and tax residency rules.
    Last edited by DotasScandal; 11th April 2017 at 13:36.

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    52
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    I was told by someone in the know that there are plenty of countries that are out of reach of HMRC.

    HMRC's tentacles do not extend anywhere near as widely as they'd have you believe.

  4. #4

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,109
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    184
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    I was told by someone in the know that there are plenty of countries that are out of reach of HMRC.

    HMRC's tentacles do not extend anywhere near as widely as they'd have you believe.
    Yeah - fun places like Columbia, Patagonia, North Korea, assorted African backwaters. And, of course, you can never move back here or anywhere else vaguely civilised, including the OP's original list....
    Blog? What blog...?

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    DotasScandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,121
    Thanks (Given)
    130
    Thanks (Received)
    112
    Likes (Given)
    1331
    Likes (Received)
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Yeah - fun places like Columbia, Patagonia, North Korea, assorted African backwaters. And, of course, you can never move back here or anywhere else vaguely civilised, including the OP's original list....
    Not only.
    Plenty of 1st world countries to choose from (as long as you stay clear of the Five Eyes). However surprising it may be to inhabitants of Brexitania Island, not all places in the free world are dominions of Empire 2.0.
    PS: Patagonia is awesome.

  6. #6

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    72
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DotasScandal View Post
    So you thought it's best to ask on a public forum notoriously scouted by HMRC?
    Nobody really knows if this is true though do they?

  7. #7

    Double Godlike!

    stek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East of Eden
    Posts
    10,714
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    230
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    1383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overit2017 View Post
    Apologies as this has no doubt been discussed in length before but I can't seem to find any clear answer here or via Google on the topic of fleeing to another country where HMRCs powers are limited and they have no power to legally recover what they think is owing against APNs issued.

    The amount I could owe come April 2019 will bankrupt me without a doubt. Becoming bankrupt is the only option on the table for me currently. However immigrating, assuming I can get the required visa's etc is another I'd like to weigh up.

    Is anybody aware of any countries HMRC cannot pursue or recover what they consider to be owing via APNs? Places I would consider are Hong Kong, Moscow, Australia, Canada, Dubai.
    Moscow isn't a country....

  8. #8

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    63
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Invisiblehand View Post
    Nobody really knows if this is true though do they?
    Yes they do as HMRC have apparently quoted posts from CUK during court cases.

    Also as stupid as they are I don't think they are stupid enough to not use CUK as a resource, makes there crappy jobs easier.

  9. #9

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    72
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
    HMRC have apparently quoted posts from CUK during court cases.
    "Apparently", exactly my point.

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors

    DotasScandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,121
    Thanks (Given)
    130
    Thanks (Received)
    112
    Likes (Given)
    1331
    Likes (Received)
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Invisiblehand View Post
    "Apparently", exactly my point.
    It's a pretty damn 100% certain "apparently".
    Just ask NTRT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.