• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rangers Tax Case Supreme Court 15 & 16 March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
    No.

I'm not a member of BG, it doesn't give me anything at all but don't have my head in the sand.

For the 2019 JR all the groups (inc BG) can band together.
    Why would the groups band together?

There seems to be little coherence in the strategy of the various groups of contractors at the moment and some of the promoters seem to have woken up at the prospect of selling product to avoid the 2019 charge but little else.

We are looking at bringing together a group at the level of the legal advisers. That has its own challenges (who is instructing and who is the client?) However ideally a group now of say 5,000 paying £20 a month each and planning a legal challenge around mid 2019 - that's a couple of million and a good start.

So who holds that money?
    Who controls the bank account?
    Who does the admin?
    Who maintains the website?
    Who does the membership sign ups?
    How much should be spent on admin?

Volunteers?

Subject to solving some issues around holding client money (expensive process), Big Group when it reopens may be interested in expanding its admin service to such a group, but we're still thinking about it.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Like little children, contractors think these things happen magically.
      There is never any shortage of "we should/we must" advice on these boards and offline. Contractors at large are always full of good will...to cheer from the sidelines as someone else does all the work and take all the blows. Contractors love a free ride. But lifting a finger and actually doing something tangible that involves investing time and money? Forget it!
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

volunteers

Given the gravity of the situation I am sure that there are a lot of contractors who would get involved. Not that I have any great expertise that would be useful, but I would certainly give of my time where needed. This legislation will no doubt bankrupt me and force me to move abroad, as with many others. Given that the solutions that I used from 2011 to 2015 where compliant with tax law at the time, this retrospective law must be deemed unlawful.

Comment

Originally posted by sbar99920 View Post
          This legislation will no doubt bankrupt me and force me to move abroad, as with many others. Given that the solutions that I used from 2011 to 2015 where compliant with tax law at the time, this retrospective law must be deemed unlawful.
          We've been on this merry-go-round twice already... with APNs, and with S58 before that. So allow us to be a tad jaded.
          You will soon find that for one contractor ready to "do something", you have 1000 peers who are nothing more than lazy, selfish, complacent slugs. That, my friend, is just the character of the UK contractor.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

hopeful

Well, hopefully there will be enough of us to make it work.

Comment

Contact

Hi, new to this site so don't really know how to use yet. How can I pm Webberg as I've a question to ask but don't want to post it on this site
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                Like little children, contractors think these things happen magically.
                There is never any shortage of "we should/we must" advice on these boards and offline. Contractors at large are always full of good will...to cheer from the sidelines as someone else does all the work and take all the blows. Contractors love a free ride. But lifting a finger and actually doing something tangible that involves investing time and money? Forget it!
                Aimed at?

Comment

The point remains that there is no action group fairy and bringing one together is an exercise in frustration.

Some of the issues I've mentioned before.

Here though the first opportunity for some legal challenge is likely to be July/August when the Finance Bill becomes the Finance Act.

A 3 month window to get organised and collect the first contributions takes us to June.

If this is to happen, then volunteers are needed NOW
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                    I'm not a member of BG, it doesn't give me anything at all but don't have my head in the sand.
                    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
                      Explain?

Go on, as you know so much more than I do about my own circumstances, group memberships, ongoing and future litigation plans, you can explain to me why my head is in the sand. Am looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X