• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settling is more expensive that paying the 2019 loan charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS. If you can arrange to earn nothing in 2018/19, then the loan charge works out even better.

That's probably not realistic for many people, which is why I gave examples of £40k and £100k.

There may be ways to reduce it even more by utilizing tax reliefs eg. making pension contributions in 2018/19.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
      PS. If you can arrange to earn nothing in 2018/19, then the loan charge works out even better.
      Certainly advantageous for those who have moved overseas.

Comment

Is the theory?

That post 6 April 2017 everyone on HMRC's radar receives a letter about the 2019 charge, which has two options:

A. Settle all years now ex NIC - but the years will include promoter fees at ~10% and interest
        B. Settle all years in 2019 inc NIC - but not included interest and promoter fees

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
          I guess until we know if the above is true regarding HMRC coming back if they get less than they would under settlement it is all up in the air.
          Based on my calculations, if they did that, it would mean they'd have to continue to pursue virtually everyone who pays the charge.

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
            That post 6 April 2017 everyone on HMRC's radar receives a letter about the 2019 charge, which has two options:

A. Settle all years now ex NIC - but the years will include promoter fees at ~10% and interest
            B. Settle all years in 2019 inc NIC - but not included interest and promoter fees
            (B) is definitely right because the charge is tax+nics on the amount of outstanding loans, irrespective of whether loan tax years are open or closed.

(A) is up in the air. It is also not known what the terms would be for closed years.

Comment

Based on my calculations, if they did that, it would mean they'd have to continue to pursue virtually everyone who pays the charge.
              For me it might make sense to settle one year to keep below the £150k threshold, leaving the earlier two (well one and a half) for the loan charge, and then not earn anything else for that year to minimise tax on those 2.

That is if I can't get them to court first to make them prove the money is actually owed.

Comment

(B) is definitely right because the charge is tax+nics on the amount of outstanding loans, irrespective of whether loan tax years are open or closed.
                Also not clear if closed means as in no discovery ever issued, or if discovery issued, year opened and then closed.

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
                  Also not clear if closed means as in no discovery ever issued, or if discovery issued, year opened and then closed.
                  Have HMRC really closed years? By issuing a formal closure notice with nothing additional to pay?

Comment

FOI request to try and nudge them.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._the_2019_loan

Comment

Have HMRC really closed years? By issuing a formal closure notice with nothing additional to pay?
                      In my case they have. Formally closed with nothing to pay.

Comment

Working...
                      X