• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Demands - please help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Demands - please help

Hi Everyone,

I'm in need of some help/ understanding! My husband has been receiving letters from HMRC for using what they are calling a tax avoidance scheme.

So far HMRC have sent letters relating to 6 years, and asked for tax returns filling in for those years as well as asking for all his bank statements.

This has caused severe depression to him, which im sure it has done to many people. We have a little boy who is 2 and a baby on the way, so I'm feeling physically sick about our situation and what it means for our family. We
    Last edited by Fowden; 29 December 2016, 12:37.

What sort of scheme was it? Was it a super low tax scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by Fowden View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I'm in need of some help/ understanding! My husband has been receiving letters from HMRC for using what they are calling a tax avoidance scheme. He has been on the scheme for 7 years before going into permanent employment which he is in now.

So far HMRC have sent letters relating to 6 years, and asked for tax returns filling in for those years as well as asking for all his bank statements.

This has caused severe depression to him, which im sure it has done to many people, fortunately for him im a fighter and want to kick them in the nuts. We have a little boy who is 2 and a baby on the way, so I'm feeling physically sick about our situation and what it means for our family. We are in the middle of potentially moving homes (the house we live in at the moment is currently in my name, and lucky so are all our savings as we save my salary) do you suggest we do not move as we will lose our new home with my husband and I moving to a joint mortgage?
      Has anyone had a settlement figure? I can't stand the thought of years of unknown and stress on our family,but it also don't want to pay them money. Is it inevitable that the money they are saying is owed will have to be paid? We don't have that kind of money, so I'm worried my husband will lose his job?

We're looking at joining the big group? Is it worth it?

Apologies if I haven't gave the information you need, just trying to take it all in and work out next steps!

Thanks
      Do not move house would be my initial suggestion, if assets are all in your name and not your husbands. If you husband has little in assets then i would consider that a positive. Speak to Citizen Advice or StepChange (charity), there is lots of great advice for free.

Join Big Group is good advice if settlement is something you are considering. Its cheap in terms of costs compared to going to tax advisers.
      http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        What sort of scheme was it? Was it a super low tax scheme?
        It was loans?

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
          Do not move house would be my initial suggestion, if assets are all in your name and not your husbands. If you husband has little in assets then i would consider that a positive. Speak to Citizen Advice or StepChange (charity), there is lots of great advice for free.

Join Big Group is good advice if settlement is something you are considering. Its cheap in terms of costs compared to going to tax advisers.
          Hi, thanks we are joining Big Group tonight is there any documentation they will need? I thought that might be the case re the house. I'm dreading the fees ect and settlement I don't know how we will pay as we just don't have that kind of money, but I know it's not just us in this situation.

Thanks for your help

Comment

We are in the middle of potentially moving homes (the house we live in at the moment is currently in my name, and lucky so are all our savings as we save my salary) do you suggest we do not move as we will lose our new home with my husband and I moving to a joint mortgage?
            It might be worth talking to an Insolvency Practitioner. Our group (NTRT) have used this firm:

David Thornhill
            FRP Advisory LLP
            Tel: 0161 833 3344
            DDI: 0161 833 5627
            Mobile: 07801 743332
            Fax: 0161 833 5633
            david.thornhill AT frpadvisory.com
            www.frpadvisory.com

Comment

PS. I don't want to worry you even more but the Government are introducing legislation in 2019 to tax all outstanding loans with these schemes.

If you do speak to an Insolvency Practitioner, it's worth mentioning that you are likely to receive a massive tax bill in tax year 2018/19. Tell them your husband will be affected by this:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...an-charge.html
              Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 28 December 2016, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                PS. I don't want to worry you even more but the Government are introducing legislation in 2019 to tax all outstanding loans with these schemes.

If you do speak to an Insolvency Practitioner, it's worth mentioning that you are likely to receive a massive tax bill in tax year 2018/19. Tell them your husband will be affected by this:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...an-charge.html
                Hi,thanks for your response, I'm a little confused, we're no longer getting payments in terms of loans, do you mean taxed on loans in 2019 or taxed on loans outstanding if you don't settle with HMRC from 2019? Therefore if we paid all the money we owe they wouldn't tax us?

Thanks

Comment

Has anyone looked at
                  Last edited by Fowden; 29 December 2016, 12:37.

Comment

Hi,thanks for your response, I'm a little confused, we're no longer getting payments in terms of loans, do you mean taxed on loans in 2019 or taxed on loans outstanding if you don't settle with HMRC from 2019? Therefore if we paid all the money we owe they wouldn't tax us?

Thanks
                    The latter. If you don't settle before 2019, or pay back all 6 years of loans, then they will tax you on all the outstanding loans.

Comment

Working...
                    X