• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SmartPay Loan Payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    No one seems to have picked up on the fact that HMRC is seemingly trying to "nudge" the OP into misclassyfing loans as income on his SATR (which would result in the OP paying tax NOT due), without backing this by statute.
    Sounds like a good old con to us, in line with the "maximizing the amout of tax collected" business plan. Quite amazing.
    HMRC's view is that it may be a loan but you get the benefit of it, in that you can spend the loan to pay your bills, so it should be treated as gross income as far as your SAR is concerned. To be fair, it doesn't need any statute support, the law is already quite clear on what constitutes taxable income: the argument is if a loan such as these falls under that heading. There are many opinions on that...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Oh dear

I got a loan to pay off some of my APN (essentially a bill), so is hector now going to treat that as income and expect it to be taxed accordingly?

Comment

Originally posted by andyc2000 View Post
        I got a loan to pay off some of my APN (essentially a bill), so is hector now going to treat that as income and expect it to be taxed accordingly?
        No. Apples and oranges.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          No. Apples and oranges.
          Agreed. That's why I was careful to say "loans such as these".
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Just join Big Group

You're not going to find an answer on these forums. Join the Big Group.

Comment

Working...
            X