• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the 2019 Loan Charge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neil99 View Post
    HMRC officials think every year EBT used will be under consideration irrespective including closed years if you've settled already. Obviously APN is a payment on account towards the final bill which will include interest.

SO if for example 200k loans over 3 years from 2005-8 expect a tax bill north of 120k.

Great isn't it :-(

You could always join Big Group in the anticipation that we'll be able to negotiate a better deal with the tax man. But the bottom line is terrifying and will bankrupt thousands.
    Their website states: "all loans or debts from a disguised remuneration scheme will be taxed as earnings if they haven’t already been fully taxed or repaid on or before 5 April 2019."

If settling/paying APN isn't paying the "due" tax, what is?

Comment

HMRC officials think every year EBT used will be under consideration irrespective including closed years if you've settled already. Obviously APN is a payment on account towards the final bill which will include interest.

SO if for example 200k loans over 3 years from 2005-8 expect a tax bill north of 120k.

Great isn't it :-(

You could always join Big Group in the anticipation that we'll be able to negotiate a better deal with the tax man. But the bottom line is terrifying and will bankrupt thousands.
      Could you give a breakdown of that example? What calculation are you basing that on? Where does a 60% tax bill come in to it especially when one has already paid the tax via CLSO/APN?

Comment

Originally posted by frodo View Post
        Could you give a breakdown of that example? What calculation are you basing that on? Where does a 60% tax bill come in to it especially when one has already paid the tax via CLSO/APN?
        At the risk of sounding like a broken record: an APN is not a final payment of anything, it's a payment "on account".
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by ireland2013 View Post
          I took up the CLSO as it was a small amount and paid tax and interest and have a letter stating that I have settled. - I have no other years in question - Are you stating HMRC will apply another charge to me in 2019?
          Any money paid out to you via EBT will attract a change of PAYE and NIC plus backdated interest. The tax will be on EBT loan amounts. Writing off the loans doesn't effect the charge. The other option is to pay back the loans in full.

As Webberg says, that's all we know at the moment until the legislation is published.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            At the risk of sounding like a broken record: an APN is not a final payment of anything, it's a payment "on account".
            I get that. So they just take the APN money to settle the tax due, right? Job done, less interest and NIC etc. And I still don't get your theoretical 60% tax charge.

Comment

Any money paid out to you via EBT will attract a change of PAYE and NIC plus backdated interest. The tax will be on EBT loan amounts. Writing off the loans doesn't effect the charge. The other option is to pay back the loans in full.

As Webberg says, that's all we know at the moment until the legislation is published.
              But the CLSO stated no NIC would be charged ( if I remember correctly) - this is confusing - thought I had paid tax and interest and matter was finished with - only issue was possible IHT - which was trust specific related.

Comment

Ok it's very rough calculation. But say if you had 70k loans each year from 2005/2008 (total loans is £210,000).

You owe roughly 25k in PAYE and NIC per year = approx 75k. Add interest of approx 30% to that.

That's approx £95,000 in tax due. From approx £210,000 in loans.

I used https://listentotaxman.com/25000?yr=2005 to do my 'umble calculations.
                Last edited by neil99; 4 August 2016, 13:16.

Comment

I get that. So they just take the APN money to settle the tax due, right? Job done, less interest and NIC etc. And I still don't get your theoretical 60% tax charge.
                  I tried a calculation and it seems it's nearer 45%. Depending on circumstances etc.

Comment

Ok it's very rough calculation. But say if you had 70k loans from 2005/2008 (total 210).

You owe roughly 25k in PAYE and NIC per year = approx 75k. Add interest of approx 30% to that.

That's approx £95,000 in tax due. From approx £210,000 in loans.

I used https://listentotaxman.com/25000?yr=2005 to do my 'umble calculations.
                    Yes but your post implies that you will be charged irrespective of tax paid via CLSO/APN (yes APN is POA, point is the money is there for HMRC to take if this charge becomes lawful).

Comment

Originally posted by ireland2013 View Post
                      But the CLSO stated no NIC would be charged ( if I remember correctly) - this is confusing - thought I had paid tax and interest and matter was finished with - only issue was possible IHT - which was trust specific related.
                      https://www.gov.uk/government/public...technical-note ...

":b.The loan is from an amount on which income tax has been accounted for in full, including all years settled under HMRC’s recent settlement opportunities, before 5 April 2019"

This para is vague but seems to suggest the charge will apply for closed years (if you have them). Open years settled under the CLSO should attract no further charges. I believe this is the interpretation HMRC have inferred too.

Comment

Working...
                      X