• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surcharges

I sent in my CTD with appropriate instructions 2 weeks ago. Haven't heard back from the CTD team yet but I've received surcharge notices in the post, one for each year that I was in the scheme. Has anyone managed to get surcharges cancelled? If so, how?

Comment

Have you taken corrective action? Were all your letters sent registered? Have you called up the CTD team and the penalties team to ask what is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Have you taken corrective action? Were all your letters sent registered? Have you called up the CTD team and the penalties team to ask what is going on?
        Personally if you call them I would record the conversation if possible, then follow it up in writing. It's amazing how many conflicting stories you get from HMRC office to office and officer to officer. It may come in handy one day.
        STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by tendo71 View Post
          Also received surcharges for 10% for 2 years following settlement. Will follow up with HMRC tomorrow.
          I also received a demand for 10% surcharge (back in April), and successfully appealled.

I've not had the appeal confirmation in writing yet, but the surcharges have been adjusted to £0 on my SA account and a follow up call with HMRC suggests it was applied in error.

Comment

5% and 10% late payment notices?

Hi

I'm progressing through the process of paying my way out after receiving an APN/FN. I've heard about people receiving 5% and 10% late payment notices and am hoping someone can tell me if these are actually applicable or not.

My story for far;
            1. was a member of the MTM scheme for tax year ending in 2004 only
            2. did nothing about it other than followed the forums occasionally until a FN/APN letter turned up late last year
            3. completed the corrective action, paid the two amounts asked for in the FN/APN.
            4. now have received another letter asking for accrued interest, which is about 50% of the amount that was in the FN/APN and have a total of 30 days to pay
            5. am preparing to pay the interest, but want this to be the last/final i ever hear about it

I don't live in the UK anymore - left in 2003 actually

I'm totally opposed to the concept of retrospective tax law changes but have come to peace with that aspect.

I'm ok with interest being charged on a delayed payment.

I'm however not ok with being charged a 1 month 5% penalty and 6 month 5% penalty for "late payment" when the delay at the time was the HMRC taking their time to decide what to do next, a long pending tax-hearing period, then a retro law change. Penalising for late payment doesn't seem fair given the sequence and timing of events. When reading the corrective action I was suspicious that I was being cornered into something like this but with international post delays had just days to act.

Can anyone tell me ...
            1. does the 5% and 5% come in a letter after the accrued interest is payed or is it part of the same letter?
            2. any success in getting the 5% and 5% struck off, and if so any advice for me in how to get started on that?

MANY thanks to all the frequent posters to this forum over the years - DR etc. Invaluable and enormously appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Once you've agreed to take corrective action, ie pay and sign the APN \ FN, they notify you of the interest you have to pay. You will have to pay the interest by the stated due date. There will be no surcharges or penalties provided you do everything by the dates HMRC stipulate.

If you just pay the demanded tax amount by the due date but do NOT take corrective action ie do not sign the APN \ FN then, 30 days after the corrective action date you will be liable for a 5% surcharge and another 5% roughly 6 months later if you still have not complied.

If you do not pay the demanded tax amount and do not take corrective action, you will then be liable for upto 50% penalties on top of the tax demand and interest.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernHopper View Post
                Hi
                Can anyone tell me ...
                1. does the 5% and 5% come in a letter after the accrued interest is payed or is it part of the same letter?
                2. any success in getting the 5% and 5% struck off, and if so any advice for me in how to get started on that?
                1. Mine came as a separate letter after interest was already paid.
                2. Yes, see my last post. I appealled and HMRC told me the surcharges were applied in error. I've subsequently had this in writing from them too.

Comment

Surcharges

Originally posted by SouthernHopper View Post
                  Hi

MANY thanks to all the frequent posters to this forum over the years - DR etc. Invaluable and enormously appreciated.

Thanks
                  I rang the person at HMRC who signed the latest letter to me. She said their system sometimes applies surcharges erroneously. She said she'd keep an eye on my account and make sure they were removed if they turned out to have been applied in error after I paid. I paid the oustanding tax/NI and sure enough the surcharges have been cancelled. There's still some interest outstanding on my Self Assessment account, which I will be paying shortly, but the surcharges have disappeared and I've received a statement showing them as cancelled.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                    hello harry
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                      hello harry

Comment

Working...
                      X