• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossman View Post
    Why?
    Why would you tell them?

Comment

Montp

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Why would you tell them?
      I was hoping you were going to tell me of some advantage in not telling them that I hadn't thought of.

I suppose I just thought it would be nice to no longer receive the occasional letter with an IOM postmark telling me of their latest machiavellian legal move, which would be of no further interest to me.

Comment

CTD Team delays - heads up

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I heard a rumour MP are launching a JR. There is a chance they could get an injunction stopping the penalties.

Personally I would wait until 1 week before the due date before settling. Also, I would not tell Montpelier anything. Just stop communicating with them.

DO NOT INCUR PENALTIES.
        For anyone considering settling using a CTD - be aware that the HMRC CTD Team say it takes them 10 to 14 days to complete the process - so if you leave it 'til a week before you could still get penalised. I found that the CTD team don't answer the phone but there is a recorded message asking you to leave contact details - they didn't phone me back until the next day. You have to write to them anyway to tell them what to do with the CTD and you have to include the original CTD (not a photocopy).

Comment

Interest statement received from HMRC

came through the letterbox yesterday. Pages and pages of statement including interest charges. There was nothing showing the workings of how the interest calculations had been derived and whether they had taken account of my CTD.

I divorced my accountant husband some years ago, I should have known he would have eventually become of some use

I don't know whether to get some advice/action from an accountant (more money.....) or try a diy approach to verifying the statement and final interest amount.

Anyone got experience of trying to validate these kind of statements and can give me some hints and tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Loobs40 View Post
            came through the letterbox yesterday. Pages and pages of statement including interest charges. There was nothing showing the workings of how the interest calculations had been derived and whether they had taken account of my CTD.

I divorced my accountant husband some years ago, I should have known he would have eventually become of some use

I don't know whether to get some advice/action from an accountant (more money.....) or try a diy approach to verifying the statement and final interest amount.

Anyone got experience of trying to validate these kind of statements and can give me some hints and tips?
            Are they aware you have a CTD? Does the interest look about right?

If there is not a big discrepancy between what you think and they think you owe, after the CTD is taken into account, then why not settle? Put it behind you - like your useless husband.....

Comment

it has crossed my mind to just pay and let it go, trouble is I really have little idea of what the amount should be. I'll have a look round the HMRC website, to find the rates and try some simple calculations to see how close they come

HMRC should know about the CTD, but I guess the right hand doesnt always know what the left hand is doing

Comment

loobs - from HMRC Website re CTD

To use your deposits to pay a tax liability you must send your CTD with written instructions explaining how you want the deposit to be used.

If you’ve more than one liability you can specify the order you want them to be paid in. If you don’t specify an order the oldest liabilities are paid first.

Send your certificate and instructions to HMRC’s CTD Team. Once this has been received by the CTD Team it takes 10 to 14 days for the deposit to be allocated to your liability

You need to follow the instructions - if you haven't already. Don't assume they will know.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/certific...deposit-scheme

When paying by CTD you need to write to the CTD team with details of the tax liability to be paid, and how much to pay from the CTD. They will, eventually, send you a new CTD for the balance left after payment. Best to write to the receiving department as well to say they can expect payment from the CTD team, so all the uncommunicative slow error-prone bits of HMRC can make some pretence at communication.

Comment

Originally posted by phileds View Post
                    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/certific...deposit-scheme

When paying by CTD you need to write to the CTD team with details of the tax liability to be paid, and how much to pay from the CTD. They will, eventually, send you a new CTD for the balance left after payment. Best to write to the receiving department as well to say they can expect payment from the CTD team, so all the uncommunicative slow error-prone bits of HMRC can make some pretence at communication.
                    I phoned HMRC today and they confirmed that I should send the CTD and they will reissue the statement accordingly. They made a note on my account to expect the CTD.

Thanks everyone for you assistance, sadly there will be no balance left on my CTD after payment

Comment

Now a surcharge!!!

I begrudgingly settled for the DTA years of 2007 & 2008 and like a lot of people here I had the follower notice and had just had enough of the whole sorry mess and wanted it out of the way.

I paid the amended tax plus all the interest and NI stupidly thinking the matter was closed, but now the tossers have sent me a 'Notice of surcharge for late payment of tax for the tax year ended 5 April 2008.'!!!!!!! Two 5% surcharges. 1 for 28 days late and the other for being over 6 months late.

Up to there usual Postal tricks too...its dated the 11th April and its turned up today on the 21st!!! leaving me now only 21 days left of the 30 to pay.

Also I've checked on my online Government Gateway account and the amount there is different to the amount on the letter. Only by 5p but there incompetence knows no bounds.

So i'm Just wondering if anybody else had had the same thing after paying what they thought was the full amount and if they appealed then what was the outcome?

Comment

Working...
                      X