• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnARoadToNoWhere View Post
    Just to let you know - today l recieved actual notices...
    Same only these APNs have the Class 4 NICS too.
    To respond to the FN you have to complete step 1, which is to 'volunteer' to change your SA to include the disputed amount. Ummm.
    So if the case is done and dusted in HMRC's favour then why issue an APN ? APN's are used to collect disputed payments up front aren't they ?

Any ideas ?

Comment

If you choose not to comply with the FN, and instead continue with your own tax appeal, then the amount is still in dispute, hence the APNs.

Of course, if you don't comply with the FN, then you also risk a penalty of up to 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        If you choose not to comply with the FN, and instead continue with your own tax appeal, then the amount is still in dispute, hence the APNs.

Of course, if you don't comply with the FN, then you also risk a penalty of up to 50%.
        So, if I can't afford to pay the penalties and if I decide to pay HMRC the full tax and interest, would I still be liable to pay MP if they subsequently win the case? (14 years and counting!).

Comment

Originally posted by Retro View Post
          So, if I can't afford to pay the penalties and if I decide to pay HMRC the full tax and interest, would I still be liable to pay MP if they subsequently win the case? (14 years and counting!).
          No, the additional 4% success fee was only due if you didn't end up paying any more tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper View Post
            Same only these APNs have the Class 4 NICS too.
            To respond to the FN you have to complete step 1, which is to 'volunteer' to change your SA to include the disputed amount. Ummm.
            So if the case is done and dusted in HMRC's favour then why issue an APN ? APN's are used to collect disputed payments up front aren't they ?

Any ideas ?
            There is no "volunteer" to make changes to the returns/claims. It's an instruction and failure will lead to a heavy penalty.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Follower notices

I just want to let people know that I rang HMRC and they advised me to pay up as the notices were legal. I sent MP everything scanned and they advised notices were unlawful. HMRC also advised that MP were no longer representing me I asked why they said that they advised MP had notified them that they were no longer representing me. There was a note in my file indicating they were no longer representing me. So really worried not sure what to do. Any advice would be welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                There is no "volunteer" to make changes to the returns/claims. It's an instruction and failure will lead to a heavy penalty.
                Yes that looks like the only option now. Luckily I took out a CTD back in 2008 so will have to call HMRC about next steps.
                Just wish I would have done this years ago instead of listening to MP for the last 8 years.

Comment

No, the additional 4% success fee was only due if you didn't end up paying any more tax.
                  Thank you very much indeed for the info.

Comment

4%

Wouldn't it be the case that If Montp win and you had paid the tax unnecessarily, they would still expect to receive their 4% on the grounds that the scheme had worked but you didn't wait to find out.

Or can we assume it's game over?

Comment

Originally posted by mossman View Post
                      Wouldn't it be the case that If Montp win and you had paid the tax unnecessarily, they would still expect to receive their 4% on the grounds that the scheme had worked but you didn't wait to find out.
                      Have a read of the 4% loan agreement, it's not worded quite like that.

In any case, we're talking mega hypotheticals here.

From what I hear, Montp are extremely unlikely to even be granted permission for a late appeal.

Comment

Working...
                      X