• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Of course, you'll never know the truth. I feel it must be MP's corporate insurers who have funded this process. They'll only keep paying if there is a good chance of winning. The insurers may well have called time on the case. Just speculation on my part though.
    If it is the insurers then they would only be funding in order to mitigate claims against them which they were of the opinion could be won. Obviously there would have been a comprehensive risk analysis on the part of the insurer, Fund a couple of million legal or whatever PI claims.

So, on balance, if the insurers were funding then there is some chance that they believe there were winnable PI claims against them which would result in larger judgements than the legal bills.

Comment

The litigation was not funded by insurers. Montpelier funded it themselves.
      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 27 October 2016, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        According to HMRC, the time limit to appeal Huitson to the Upper Tax Tribunal (UTT) expired on 23 January 2016. It appears that Montpelier didn't submit the appeal until July 2016.

HMRC are issuing Follower Notices on the basis that the Huitson First Tier Tribunal was a final ruling. Montpelier dispute this because they have applied to the UTT for a late appeal which hasn't been decided yet.
        I have received my letter from HMRC stating that in 1-10weeks they will be sending FN and APNs - l'm not sure what l need to do in that time i.e. 1. Contact Montpelier 2. Contact BIG Group.... making them aware that l have had this contact.

Comment

I've heard 2nd hand that Montpelier are sending a letter to HMRC pointing out that they are awaiting a hearing date from the Upper Tribunal, for their late appeal, and that HMRC are therefore incorrect in concluding that the decision became final in the Huitson case on 23rd January 2016.

However, if HMRC still go ahead and issue FNs and APNs, then I assume Montpelier will provide people with "letters of representation" to appeal the notices.

There's not much else that can be done at the moment.

Comment

At least we can be assured that Montpelier will keep us right up to date with the possible outcomes.
            Yes, I'm taking the ....

Comment

Is it true Montpelier will only help out those who paid the 10% loan demands(if applicable) and the fees for defending the APNs?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                According to HMRC, the time limit to appeal Huitson to the Upper Tax Tribunal (UTT) expired on 23 January 2016. It appears that Montpelier didn't submit the appeal until July 2016.
                They had until 23 Jan 2016 to appeal? And they left it to July?

Montpelier are more incompetent than bloody HMRC !!!!!!!!!
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Incompetent? That would be surprising.
                  See message #37
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                    Incompetent? That would be surprising.
                    See message #37
                    Appealing to the UTT doesn't cost much and, if funding was an issue, they could have asked clients to pay to keep it going.

If I was Mr Huitson, I'd sue their arse.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                      They had until 23 Jan 2016 to appeal? And they left it to July?
                      Yeah, you can understand why HMRC are pretty bullish about this. I mean, this isn't a case of being lost in the post and/or stuck in the out tray.

Look at it from the judge's point of view - you'd want to see a damn good reason for such a whopping delay.

Comment

Working...
                      X