• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regron View Post
    Also very different when the other team also has deep pockets to fight HMRC !!!
    Yep, he pulled out all the stops for his fraud trial, hiring a top silk for his defence.

Unlike the Huitson FTT, which he did on the cheap, using a provincial junior barrister.

Comment

Originally posted by ns1 View Post
      Yep, he pulled out all the stops for his fraud trial, hiring a top silk for his defence.

Unlike the Huitson FTT, which he did on the cheap, using a provincial junior barrister.
      He did not need anyone for the defense. It was thrown out after the prosecution side.

HMRC really do hate him and it came back to bite them on the 4rse.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        It was thrown out after the prosecution side.
        It makes you wonder how HMRC convinced the CPS, to prosecute, in the first place.

Comment

He did not need anyone for the defense. It was thrown out after the prosecution side.

HMRC really do hate him and it came back to bite them on the 4rse.
          Cause and effect though. They almost certainly threw it out when they got the papers from the defence - and saw what they were up against.

Comment

Originally posted by ns1 View Post
            It makes you wonder how HMRC convinced the CPS, to prosecute, in the first place.
            Harassment and bullying.

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            Cause and effect though. They almost certainly threw it out when they got the papers from the defence - and saw what they were up against.
            The prosecution witnesses went through their evidence. The judge then advised the prosecution to drop the case as it was already clear he was not guilty.

Comment

The prosecution witnesses went through their evidence. The judge then advised the prosecution to drop the case as it was already clear he was not guilty.
              FFS - so their case was that bad - I could have been the defence counsel - and he would have been acquitted.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                FFS - so their case was that bad - I could have been the defence counsel - and he would have been acquitted.
                Indeed. HMRC are a total disgrace.

Comment

Indeed. HMRC are a total disgrace.
                  To be fair, the vast majority of HMRC's work is civil and they have far less experience, than the Police, when it comes to investigating crime and preparing cases for trial. Arguably, the CPS are as much, if not more, to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                    To be fair, the vast majority of HMRC's work is civil and they have far less experience, than the Police, when it comes to investigating crime and preparing cases for trial. Arguably, the CPS are as much, if not more, to blame.
                    Civil is not a word I use to describe HMRC.

The C does not stand for civil....

Comment

A little update

Hey all,

wonder if someone can give me a little update, is the fight all over? I left the UK around 7 years ago so only details I get are from MP and threatening letters from HMRC, I dont have the money owed, lost everything in 2010 due to bad investments, are we still fighting or shall I just call up and say bankrupt me.

Comment

Working...
                      X