• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New mass withdrawal of unlawful APNs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wibble1 View Post
    I was not aware Edge were running a JR and I'd like to make contact with whoever is running it. Especially now I've had hector turn up on my doorstep asking for payment. He's now under the patio but don't tell anyone.

How can I contact the Edge JR group?
    Pm The Dandy re Edge group

Comment

Curious about this - if there was a late penalty on an overdue APN and that APN eventually got withdrawn, would the late penalty get withdrawn along with that APN altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by 9times5 View Post
        Curious about this - if there was a late penalty on an overdue APN and that APN eventually got withdrawn, would the late penalty get withdrawn along with that APN altogether?
        We'll have to see. I suspect that they may keep the money and say they will put it towards what you may owe if they win their day in court.

Interestingly on a previous tax return I was due a few hundred quid back. I queried why it had not been paid and was told it was withheld to offset what they think I owe.

Comment

Originally posted by 9times5 View Post
          If an APN is withdrawn it's as if it never existed. Consequently your penalty never existed either.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Do you get your house back that you sold to pay the unlawful APN?

Comment

Originally posted by Whysoserious View Post
              Do you get your house back that you sold to pay the unlawful APN?
              We all know the answer to that, that's why some of us would rather risk a penalty. If you decide to "do as you're told", well, that's your gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Wibble1 View Post
                We'll have to see. I suspect that they may keep the money and say they will put it towards what you may owe if they win their day in court.

Interestingly on a previous tax return I was due a few hundred quid back. I queried why it had not been paid and was told it was withheld to offset what they think I owe.
                I have had the same issue where they owed me money but because I had an inquiry open there was a 'flag' against me that prevented payment unless the investigating team approved it. I called and had a moan and, after a bit of too and fro, they paid up. This happened for several years until I had a real go and made a formal complaint - since then they pay back what they owe me.

I guess they will deal with cases individually but it's worth calling and challenging them. The other option is to manage your affairs so that you will always owe them something at the end of the year.

Comment

It's always the same thing about bringing forward future revenue and making the balance sheet look better.
                  Always challenge.

Comment

For years after (I think) 2011/12, HMRC can withhold repayments where they "believe" there is an amount of tax outstanding, in this case represented by an APN.

You can challenge that position.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X