• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New mass withdrawal of unlawful APNs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New mass withdrawal of unlawful APNs

Apparently this time it's for Premier Strategies.
    From the FT:

"HMRC backs down on upfront payment of disputed tax

A legal challenge has forced HM Revenue & Customs to back down over hundreds of tax demands issued to users of offshore trusts"

As with Montpellier, it appears to be a case of the scheme being non notifiable although it had received a DOTAS number

HMRC’s decision to withdraw demands to produce cash up front — known as “accelerated payment notices” — followed the launch of judicial review proceedings by scheme users who argued they should be exempt"

Just in case you were not yet convinced that our dear Revenue is "trying it on" with everyone and their dog. Complete shambles.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Apparently this time it's for Premier Strategies.
    From the FT:

"HMRC backs down on upfront payment of disputed tax

A legal challenge has forced HM Revenue & Customs to back down over hundreds of tax demands issued to users of offshore trusts"

As with Montpellier, it appears to be a case of the scheme being non notifiable although it had received a DOTAS number

HMRC’s decision to withdraw demands to produce cash up front — known as “accelerated payment notices” — followed the launch of judicial review proceedings by scheme users who argued they should be exempt"

Just in case you were not yet convinced that our dear Revenue is "trying it on" with everyone and their dog. Complete shambles.
    It doesn't take much to confuse bears of little brain. In HMRC's eyes DOTAS Number = fair game regardless of the actuality. As anyone who knew anything escaped HMRC in the redundancies...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They got it wrong here...

HMRC loses £50m Chelsea Barracks tax appeal to Qatar - BBC News

Comment

Will they be claiming back costs?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
          Looks like another case of HMRC trying to extort the party they thought would be easier to "collect" from - ignoring law in the process.
          Not unlike their recent attempts at bullying agencies and clients into paying contractors' APNs.
          Truly the most formidable criminal organization this country has seen to date.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
            But HMRC win 80% of all their cases? Does that now reduce to 79%?
            Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
            http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
              But HMRC win 80% of all their cases? Does that now reduce to 79%?
              For PR purposes, we believe the figure will remain "80%" ad vitam æternam.
              You didn't think these stats ever get "marked to market", did you?
              Hector loves round figures like "80%" or "1 billion"

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                It doesn't take much to confuse bears of little brain. In HMRC's eyes DOTAS Number = fair game regardless of the actuality. As anyone who knew anything escaped HMRC in the redundancies...
                Re another withdrawal of APN due to scheme not being notifiable, is there a list that identifies those that are notifiable of or not?

I challenged HMRC in my representation of APN's issued on these ground and was told the scheme was notifiable - but I don't know how that is proved correct or not. What is it that determines that and what process must have been followed to implement that it was/is notifiable. I'm referring to Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wibble1 View Post
                  Re another withdrawal of APN due to scheme not being notifiable, is there a list that identifies those that are notifiable of or not?

I challenged HMRC in my representation of APN's issued on these ground and was told the scheme was notifiable - but I don't know how that is proved correct or not. What is it that determines that and what process must have been followed to implement that it was/is notifiable. I'm referring to Edge.
                  To the best of my knowledge there is no list of schemes notified but not notifiable.

With regard to Edge, I suspect that those running the JR for that scheme are better placed to explain. It may be however that as some people have paid to be part of the JR process, that information is considered to be proprietory?

I'm specultating however that a scheme that was running prior to say 2004 or which started between 2004 and 2006 and remained pretty much unaltered after 2006, but was notified under the DOTAS rules, would be in the sweet spot here. As I said, a very inexpert view.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                    To the best of my knowledge there is no list of schemes notified but not notifiable.

With regard to Edge, I suspect that those running the JR for that scheme are better placed to explain. It may be however that as some people have paid to be part of the JR process, that information is considered to be proprietory?.
                    I was not aware Edge were running a JR and I'd like to make contact with whoever is running it. Especially now I've had hector turn up on my doorstep asking for payment. He's now under the patio but don't tell anyone.

How can I contact the Edge JR group?

Comment

Working...
                    X