• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier & Newquay 10% loan repayment demands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RunningMan View Post
    It's the amount that is the dealbreaker. I am in the "close to 60k" demand range - and I just can't do it.
    I can understand your reluctance to repay such a large sum.

Someone earlier described it as a "punt" which is probably not a bad way of looking at it. FWIW, I'm not convinced that paying back a portion of the loan will swing the tax case.
    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 5 May 2016, 11:31.

Comment

Thanks for the swift PM rights. I've PMed you BrilloPad...

Comment

Received a letter from Hazelmere, thought I was with Montpellier!!!

Can someone advise on the level of membership required for BigGroup? I do not have PM set as just joined today.

Comment

Originally posted by sid84763 View Post
          Received a letter from Hazelmere, thought I was with Montpellier!!!

Can someone advise on the level of membership required for BigGroup? I do not have PM set as just joined today.
          give BIG group (WTT) a call in the morning and they will on board you ... you will be amoung friends and ex-MTM members there.

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
            give BIG group (WTT) a call in the morning and they will on board you ... you will be amoung friends and ex-MTM members there.
            Many thanks for getting back to me. I am a bit confused as a mate thinks that the request for the 10% repayment is a good approach by Montpelier to appease HMRC and show loans are being repaid.

I've come to this late (buried head syndrome) so is there anywhere I can catch up or is it a case of reading all the associated threads?

Comment

I am a bit confused as a mate thinks that the request for the 10% repayment is a good approach by Montpelier to appease HMRC and show loans are being repaid.
              Your mate, is he a qualified tax advisor or tax barrister? If not, then sorry to be blunt but his opinion is worthless.

Be careful who you listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Your mate, is he a qualified tax advisor or tax barrister? If not, then sorry to be blunt but his opinion is worthless.

Try the big group, the best deal on tax advisors I've found and a lot cheaper than getting fleeced by a company whose name is all over the Panama papers. Besides based on track record HMRC are dictating the rules and repaying 100% is what they have stipulated as the non tax threshold

Comment

Many thanks for getting back to me. I am a bit confused as a mate thinks that the request for the 10% repayment is a good approach by Montpelier to appease HMRC and show loans are being repaid.

I've come to this late (buried head syndrome) so is there anywhere I can catch up or is it a case of reading all the associated threads?
                  Don't worry you are not the only one ... the letters from MTM have flushed folks out and sadly there isnt a really nice summary of what is going on to be honest ... you should set aside a few days (ok a few weeks) and read and read this forum to see the history of MTM and HMRC ... I joined NTRT for the pre-loan schemes of MTM .....NTRT was as a result of the good information from the trusted people like DonkeyRhubarb/Brillopad ... they are contractors just like us and only want to see the information shared out and work collectively.

The loan scheme is ONLY being handled collectively on BIG group ... there are some Montpelier believers out there who are happy to pay back loans ... the question is ...what degree of confidence have they that this repayment will solve their 2008/09 tax return ?

IMHO its a different environment these days ...so paying the loan repayments is soooooo last decade ... with the odds stacked against us ... i'd rather spend that money working to clear the 08/09 debts ..via negotiations run by BIG group.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

You are of course correct and thanks for taking the time to give me a steer. Wish I had a Tardis!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
                      Don't worry you are not the only one ... the letters from MTM have flushed folks out and sadly there isnt a really nice summary of what is going on to be honest ... you should set aside a few days (ok a few weeks) and read and read this forum to see the history of MTM and HMRC ... I joined NTRT for the pre-loan schemes of MTM .....NTRT was as a result of the good information from the trusted people like DonkeyRhubarb/Brillopad ... they are contractors just like us and only want to see the information shared out and work collectively.

The loan scheme is ONLY being handled collectively on BIG group ... there are some Montpelier believers out there who are happy to pay back loans ... the question is ...what degree of confidence have they that this repayment will solve their 2008/09 tax return ?

IMHO its a different environment these days ...so paying the loan repayments is soooooo last decade ... with the odds stacked against us ... i'd rather spend that money working to clear the 08/09 debts ..via negotiations run by BIG group.
                      Thanks, I have had contact from Big Group so will have a look at the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X