• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is not tax avoidance, this is just the way it works.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimately, the views expressed here on both sides of the debate have some power but HMRC is a different beast.

They are not above the law. They have to obey a decision made in Court and if that decision is true, honest, balanced and legally sound, it matters not what they HMRC think.

True, they have in the past lost a case and changed the law. Fine, let them do that here, because it will remove all the prior years.

(I cannot imagine the challenges that would erupt should they lose the case and legislate retrospectively. Even in my nightmares I do not see that scenario).

here, they have no final position. getting a final answer on most cases will be a long and tortuous legal process and eventually enough people wanting to settle on a reasonable argument will carry weight.

If you don't believe that for whatever reason (conspiracy theory to political fix to general uncommercial stubborness), then nothing is going to fix that loss of faith.

If you believe, that HMRC will have to recognise the power of a sensible, technical and logical argument and that if they don't a Court may force them to, then join up and sign on for the long haul.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

It is not illegal.

Ps: duplicating your post across threads will not yield you more replies.
      Last edited by DotasScandal; 9 March 2016, 12:39.
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Raj121279
        Hello All,

I have received a tax avoidance letter for FY 2011-12 in the last 2 weeks reg the tax avoidance as I was with AML Loan agreement (I was only with them for an year and moved on), I didn’t even realised it was illeagal.

I have emailed AML reg this and they haven’t come back to me yet on this.

I was go through the forums and I can see there were few people in the same situation as mine in the past, so can you please advise me whats the best option for me to do in this situation and what was the outcome in each of your cases?

Any sort of information is highly appreciated in this regards.

Many Thanks in advance.

Cheers
        Four different threads you have posted the same post on now. All that will do is confuse you even more !!
        STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
          Four different threads you have posted the same post on now. All that will do is confuse you even more !!
          All deleted now.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            if that decision is true, honest, balanced and legally sound
            Sadly the political interference in the judiciary makes that less likely than it should be
            Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
              Sadly the political interference in the judiciary makes that less likely than it should be
              Not just political interference.

The Justice System has been hit hard by public spending cuts. The legal aid budget has been slashed. Courts have been closed. Jobs lost, salaries frozen.

The Justice System is funded by taxes.

If you were a Judge hearing a tax avoidance case...

Comment

Working...
              X