• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data Protection Act breach

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Protection Act breach

Hi all

I used a DOTAS scheme for four years and I’ve just started receiving APNs. For one of the APNs I could not reconcile the data at all. Then I noticed that the backup calculation was for a different person altogether! So now I have someone else’s backup calculation of their APN and presumably my backup has been sent to that person or elsewhere.

This seems to me to be a serious breach because:
    a) I now hold someone else’s personal data including salary, their UTR, and I know that they used a DOTAS scheme.
    b) Someone presumably now has my data. I don’t know who holds that data and I imagine HMRC would not be able to tell me definitely.
    c) The person who holds my data knows my salary, UTR etc.
    d) The information is highly confidential information. And it is no longer secure.

My question is, does this amount to a breach of the Data Protection Act and/or other legislation? And, if so, is this breach serious enough that I can request HMRC to bring their review to a close and issue Closure Notices for all years under review?

I welcome all advice.

Kind regards
    Jon

Originally posted by Jonathan99 View Post
    Hi all

I used a DOTAS scheme for four years and I’ve just started receiving APNs. For one of the APNs I could not reconcile the data at all. Then I noticed that the backup calculation was for a different person altogether! So now I have someone else’s backup calculation of their APN and presumably my backup has been sent to that person or elsewhere.

a) I now hold someone else’s personal data including salary, their UTR, and I know that they used a DOTAS scheme.
    b) Someone presumably now has my data. I don’t know who holds that data and I imagine HMRC would not be able to tell me definitely.
    d) The information is highly confidential information. And it is no longer secure.

My question is, does this amount to a breach of the Data Protection Act and/or other legislation? And, if so, is this breach serious enough that I can request HMRC to bring their review to a close and issue Closure Notices for all years under review?

I welcome all advice.

Kind regards
    Jon
    Blimey. What a mess. If this did result in reviews being closed lets start swapping letters with each other an claim the same issue of being sent other peoples details in error. Nothing else seems to be working.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan99 View Post
      Hi all

I welcome all advice.

Kind regards
      Jon

No idea about getting the review closed, but your first port of call re the privacy issues should be the ICO. They have a very useful help line you can call. 0303 123 1113.

You can also register concerns online :

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/

However they will expect you to have notified the organisation concerned and given them a chance to sort it out. Template letter and guidance here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/raising-concerns/
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I am fairly sure the judge and jury will have a sustained laugh when you argue that a data breach is enough to cancel all your dodgy tax schemes.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
        X