• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Told HMRC I am unable to pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nad76 View Post
    But what do I do about the field agent that is going to visit me?
    Be polite but firm.

Ask him/her what he/she wants and explain that there are no assets and no income to claim against.

His/her job is to prepare a report on your circumstances, i.e. "taxpayer says he has no income but brand new Aston Martin on the drive".

Providing you have been honest to date, no reason to change that policy just because you have a real person to deal with rather than an anonymous number/name.

He/she will report to control and a decision will be taken as to how to proceed. If you really have no income/assets now or in the foreseeable future, then ask the officer to consider remission of the tax. Ask him/her to copy his report to you.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      Be polite but firm.

Ask him/her what he/she wants and explain that there are no assets and no income to claim against.

His/her job is to prepare a report on your circumstances, i.e. "taxpayer says he has no income but brand new Aston Martin on the drive".

Providing you have been honest to date, no reason to change that policy just because you have a real person to deal with rather than an anonymous number/name.

He/she will report to control and a decision will be taken as to how to proceed. If you really have no income/assets now or in the foreseeable future, then ask the officer to consider remission of the tax. Ask him/her to copy his report to you.
      Thank you, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that some how I will have to pay what they are asking for, but my circumstances right now wont allow it. In a few months I will be able to remortgage and pay it that way but i'm just worried that these 'field force officers' will come in and start taking mu things away, its not like I have loads of stuff of value, but the idea of someone searching my house for things to take is terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by nad76 View Post
        Thank you, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that some how I will have to pay what they are asking for, but my circumstances right now wont allow it. In a few months I will be able to remortgage and pay it that way but i'm just worried that these 'field force officers' will come in and start taking mu things away, its not like I have loads of stuff of value, but the idea of someone searching my house for things to take is terrifying.
        Have a read of this You need time to pay - TaxAid and give them a call if you want to chat it through.

Comment

Be polite but firm.

At what point do they force you to sell your house to fund the debt? What do they do if you are married, with a partner who contests the amount of equity accessible based on the proportion of the deposit paid by each partner?
          At what point do HMRC completely destroy a life based on a, potentially, incorrect APN?

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
            At what point do they force you to sell your house to fund the debt? What do they do if you are married, with a partner who contests the amount of equity accessible based on the proportion of the deposit paid by each partner?
            At what point do HMRC completely destroy a life based on a, potentially, incorrect APN?
            I get the feeling that they don't care about ruining lives, their attitude seems to be ' you owe what you owe' kind of like those illegal loan sharks, they start with the fingers, then toes/kneecaps etc.

So I'm getting the message of 'don't let the field agents in' but the link on an earlier post says that they put you into 2 categories can't pay/won't pay and those put into the won't pay category are unlikely to be given time to pay. won't not letting the agents in aggravate them into deeming me uncooperative and assessing me as a 'won't pay'?

Comment

Field agents have a task to do and initially at least it's to meet the taxpayer and make an assessment of their situation and whether the claimed circumstances do actually exist.

Once the circumstances of being able/unable to pay through assets sales, borrowing, instalments is understood, then a plan is made to collect whatever is considered collectible.

Make no mistake, that they will expect sacrifices to be made to pay outstanding tax. They will on occasion go for Court orders or bankruptcy. They have also been known in some circumstances to advise "no action". The latter is rarer than you might think, but does happen.

If a field officer is going to turn up with a bailiff or Court order, they have to give notice.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

If a field officer is going to turn up with a bailiff or Court order, they have to give notice.
                And you don't have to let them in. And you should not let them in.

JUST STOP DEALING WITH THEM.

Comment

Working...
                X