• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC withdrawing 2,000 Montpelier APNs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC withdrawing 2,000 Montpelier APNs

In the past week, users of the scheme, targeted by the retrospective legislation BN66/section 58, have started receiving letters from HMRC withdrawing their APNs.

HMRC have now concluded that the scheme was not a notifiable arrangement under DOTAS and therefore none of the users should ever have received APNs.

Since March 2015, they have issued approximately 2,000 APNs to Montpelier users.

Some people have had to sell their homes, re-mortgage, cash in pensions etc to pay them. People have been hit with penalties, hounded by HMRC debt collectors, and even had officials turn up on their doorstep.

In their letter, HMRC say they are “sorry for the inconvenience caused”.
    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 28 December 2015, 09:02.

Good result...... please tell me that the users / MP won't leave it there. They must expose HMRC to the fullest extent !! However on a side note, what are the chances that once they change the law to make APN's valid for non-DOTAS (which I'm sure they will), these APN's will be reinstated !! I sincerely hope not.
    Anyway, fantastic to see the persistence pull off
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Good news for those involved but....

...where is HMRC's accountability in all of those for the lives they have at best disrupted and at worse destroyed? I was not a user of this scheme but I find this a despicable chain of events that calls into question the rule of law in the UK and reveals the utter corruption at the heart of government here. This should addressed by the Prime Minister and I hope those involved are going to complain in the strongest possible terms to that gentleman (sic)

Comment

DR, your post is relatively low key, but it is a monumental achievement!! The implications are mind blowing. It is fantastic and a huge vindication for those of you who resisted paying the APN in the first place.
        I can't begin to say how sorry I feel for those who had to sell a family home over this, perhaps saw their relationship and health break down, and had to fend off the debt collecting attack dogs, only to be told "oops.sorry". It is not even dark comedy...it is demonic.
        To echo what was said above, please, PLEASE do not leave it at that. I hope you publicize this to hell and back.
        I'll contribute to buying advertisement space anywhere you like.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          DR, your post is relatively low key, but it is a monumental achievement!! The implications are mind blowing. It is fantastic and a huge vindication for those of you who resisted paying the APN in the first place.
          I can't begin to say how sorry I feel for those who had to sell a family home over this, perhaps saw their relationship and health break down, and had to fend off the debt collecting attack dogs, only to be told "oops.sorry". It is not even dark comedy...it is demonic.
          To echo what was said above, please, PLEASE do not leave it at that. I hope you publicize this to hell and back.
          I'll contribute to buying advertisement space anywhere you like.
          Are no journalists interested in this? Surely the broad sheets should pick this up??

Comment

Personally speaking I'd be looking for a close up and personal with the folks who sent the letters - appreciate their 'superiors' might somehow be magically unidentifiable so, and it'd be by HMRC's own choice, I'd be looking to confront the cogs if the machine itself chooses to be unavailable.

And I wouldn't be chasing what 'legally' is 'right' either - clearly that ship has long sailed.

Comment

I'd be surprised if the group isn't taking action against that. HMRC should be accountable for the ruin they have caused.

Comment

Bloody hell. Join Big Group.

Bloody hell.

This shows that, if you have the balls to band together and stand and fight, HMRC will listen.

So:
                1. Past scheme users need to get on board with the Big Group. Now.
                2. ALL contractors need to rally themselves against the wider assault on UK contracting.

Comment

What is annoying is that, after receiving the initial representations back in May, HMRC took over 6 months to reach this decision.

And, while they were reviewing the representations, they just kept on issuing more and more APNs.

Comment

Was Montpellier post 2011?

What's stopping HMRC issuing new APNs next year when non Dotas schemes are targeted....?

I would suggest highly likely...

Comment

Working...
                    X