• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Murray Group (Rangers) tax case - decision today?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
    Where will/can the money come now for appeal?
    Time for a kickstarter campaign ... I'm sure many an outraged Rangers fan would contribute.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

There are some circumstances where a Court will hear an appeal without funding if there is sufficient public interest. In tax cases, that tends to be where HMRC want to prove a particular point and there is an issue of public policy at stake.

Whilst I do not believe for one second the rather extreme claims from some commentators that Murray was a "major victory for taxpayers", I'm not convinced that HMRC sees much public policy value in having the position tested further.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

There is a note doing the rounds that says HMRC suffered a "major defeat" in Murray Group.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

It's worth though checking the telephone number of the outfit who allegedly wrote/issued it.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I'm told Murray Group have £26m in a creditor pot and £0.5m in a fighting fund. BDO might put in too?

I don't know the technicalities of what pots they could use etc, but it seems more likely than I thought that they'll appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by parallelmonogamist View Post
            I'm told Murray Group have £26m in a creditor pot and £0.5m in a fighting fund. BDO might put in too?

I don't know the technicalities of what pots they could use etc, but it seems more likely than I thought that they'll appeal.

HMRC might start shouting a bit more if there is no appeal.

Comment

First indication of a possible appeal (Third Paragraph).

Dave King Statement - Rangers Football Club, Official Website
              Last edited by regron; 12 November 2015, 22:05.
              STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Nice one, thanks for that regron.

Off topic slightly, I do find this statement odd:

"Certain players may not have signed for the Club without the perceived benefit of personal tax savings but there was no general advantage for the player squad, or the performance on the pitch."

Especially after saying "the football team had no advantage from any tax savings from the scheme put in place by the Murray Group".

Certain players signing for the club because of (insert reason here) seems like said reason gives them an advantage. ;-)

Comment

Employer Liability

How significant is the implication that the tax liability lies with the employer, not the employee?

Comment

Originally posted by swhitehe View Post
                    How significant is the implication that the tax liability lies with the employer, not the employee?
                    It was common ground in the FTT that the recipients were employees and as such a PAYE determination was the appropriate way to proceed.

This approach weakens the ability of HMRC to apply the decision elsewhere although perhaps not fatally.

(No, me neither).

Comment

"As a result the company that owned Rangers"

Comment

Working...
                      X