• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To settle, or not to settle....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Collar CLSO

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    One the one hand, you signed, so....

On the other, if there really is such a clause, you could let the agreement "be terminated".
    If you call HMRC, prepare for them doing everything to persuade you to NOT back out of the agreement...

Quite frankly, the sum is quite trivial compared to what people here "owe" on average, and more than one would tell you to just write it off and be done with the whole thing. Of course that is not our advice.
    So if I don't want to pay, shall I call them or just ignore it and Join Big Group. As I understand after reading posts through forums its a non DOTAS scheme and APN is unlikely and HMRC still don't have a case to issue a Follower notice and hence no APN. So unless it gets into litigation nothing should be paid to HMRC in Settlement.

I am new to this forum so please forgive my ignorance. I am just trying to find a way not to pay them. As the scheme provider took a hefty fee when I joined the scheme and now HMRC is asking for money, which doesn't feel right or even legal.

Comment

Talk to them. Don't pay. Buy a CTD for the same amount to stop interest accruing and the join Big Group.

Comment

WHS
        ...and when you do talk to them... don't fall for their pressure tactics!!!
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

evening,

I'm in this exact position right now, I've sought some basic advice and have come to the conclusion that i will pay (settle?) the APN which is due shortly.

My scheme provider is taking this to a JR though so I'm a not entirely clear on what my best option is.

1, what is the difference between paying the APN and 'settling'?
          2, If I pay, does that mean my provider will still include my case in their JR and fight on my behalf?
          3, If i pay and my providor wins any case, am I entitled to get this back?

cheers

Comment

Ric if you pay an APN, it's just an up front payment. If HMRC lost the case then they would refund you.
            If you chose to settle then it could be considered as admitting liability and I would be surprised if you saw the money again. The same would apply for other tax years that you used the same or similar schemes.

If you are in any doubt of advice given to you by your scheme provider then join Big Group. The advice and information on there from other members and WTT is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by ric_77 View Post
              evening,

I'm in this exact position right now, I've sought some basic advice and have come to the conclusion that i will pay (settle?) the APN which is due shortly.

My scheme provider is taking this to a JR though so I'm a not entirely clear on what my best option is.

1, what is the difference between paying the APN and 'settling'?
              2, If I pay, does that mean my provider will still include my case in their JR and fight on my behalf?
              3, If i pay and my providor wins any case, am I entitled to get this back?

cheers
              This has been covered a billion times on other threads. Do we really need to revisit this again?

Anyway :

1/ APN = payment on account, doesn't include penalties, IHT, interest. Theoretically refundable if and when HMRC lose in court against the provider. Settlement = admittance of guilt. You pay whatever HMRC declare you "owe", plus IHT if applicable, plus interest. You give up your rights to taking part in litigation and to ever see your money back, even if the scheme is proved successful by a tribunal.

2/ No. If you settle, you drop out of the fight.

3/ No. By settling you are renouncing that right.

Hope this helps. Join Big Group and resist HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                This has been covered a billion times on other threads. Do we really need to revisit this again?

Anyway :

1/ APN = payment on account, doesn't include penalties, IHT, interest. Theoretically refundable if and when HMRC lose in court against the provider. Settlement = admittance of guilt. You pay whatever HMRC declare you "owe", plus IHT if applicable, plus interest. You give up your rights to taking part in litigation and to ever see your money back, even if the scheme is proved successful by a tribunal.

2/ No. If you settle, you drop out of the fight.

3/ No. By settling you are renouncing that right.

Hope this helps. Join Big Group and resist HMRC.
                Appreciate the reply, i'm in a pretty confused (and stressed) state right now, I have about a week max to get in touch with HMRC.

I did try and join the BIG group recently but it said it was closed for new members. I'll try again now.

thanks

EDIT just tried again and it says new registrations disabled!
                Last edited by ric_77; 24 November 2015, 22:57.

Comment

Originally posted by ric_77 View Post
                  I did try and join the BIG group recently but it said it was closed for new members. I'll try again now.
                  EDIT just tried again and it says new registrations disabled!
                  You tried to register for BG's forum.
                  That's not the right procedure.
                  See here instead for modalities and conditions.

Comment

Is HMRC offering a 'discount' to settle?

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
                      Is HMRC offering a 'discount' to settle?
                      Nope no discount. The 'discount' offered during the now lapsed settlement opportunity was that there were no penalties.

You can understand why most opted out of that one :P

Comment

Working...
                      X