• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC should evidence open enquiries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC should evidence open enquiries

We are receiving very worrying feedback from readers informing us that they are in receipt of APNs for tax years where, as far as they are aware, no open enquiry exists (a prerequisite for the lawful issuance of an APN).
    We are hearing about figures as high as 40% of APNs where the existence of a valid enquiry is in doubt.
    For this reason, we are supporting the petition started by our friends at BIG GROUP at Change.org.

You will find this petition here.

Please take one minute of your time to contribute to it, and please pass the word around if you can. Thank you.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

They received an APN? Why did HMRC not just take the money directly from their bank account?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      They received an APN? Why did HMRC not just take the money directly from their bank account?
      Well, we all know it's the next step. For now HMRC still needs to present a veener of legality (thinner and thinner, as we are seeing).

Comment

HMRC should also come clean about what they are going to do if people can't pay APNs.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._going_to_do_i

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          HMRC should also come clean about what they are going to do if people can't pay APNs.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._going_to_do_i
          HMRC sent me CSLO including the year fior which I did not receive an "Enquiry" letter.
          I wrote to them with respect to this matter (ie no enquiry letter was received by me for that particular year) and all they've done is send me a copy.

I have written back to them asking for the evidence that they indeed sent that letter. Wating to hear from them.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonJones View Post
            I wrote to them with respect to this matter (ie no enquiry letter was received by me for that particular year) and all they've done is send me a copy.
            They sent you a copy? Lucky you!
            We're hearing they don't bother to do even that lately.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
              Well, we all know it's the next step. For now HMRC still needs to present a veener of legality (thinner and thinner, as we are seeing).
              As of early Nov, they will be able to take money from accounts legally - the Finance Bill just needs committee approval and Royal Assent.

Comment

Working...
              X