• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rangers Tax Case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supreme Court

Can they not appeal to supreme court in England?

I assumed that was their plan - so they can have ago at the PL Clubs who paid players via EBT.

Comment

Originally posted by ireland2013 View Post
      Can they not appeal to supreme court in England?
      I assumed that was their plan - so they can have ago at the PL Clubs who paid players via EBT.
      I understand that could be the final step. I expect it to happen.
      HMRC are well known for going full retard with anything they do, and strangely, spending public money like there is no tomorrow seems fine when it's about HMRC pursuing largely lost battles.
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
        I understand that could be the final step. I expect it to happen.
        HMRC are well known for going full retard with anything they do, and strangely, spending public money like there is no tomorrow seems fine when it's about HMRC pursuing largely lost battles.
        If they lose and I was BDO who are winding up the Murray Group if I am correct, I would go for costs, and I imagine (excluding for now the damage to the Club) the lawyers bills will be reasonably large. Might make for some bad reading in the press.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          Not sure if regron was serious or joking,.... .
          Was serious about the appeal, but got the wrong court
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by dangerouswhensober View Post
            Can you provide a little clarification:

(1) How can HMRC delay a court decision - is the court not independent ?
            (2) Why would HMRC prefer to have the decision after the CLSO final date ?
            1. When a decision is ready it is sent to the parties for comment before being released. Usually this is a simple and quick process and takes a couple of days. I am however aware of one instance where a decision about to be released was withheld whilst HMRC made "suggestions" to the Judge that parts of the written narrative were in need of correction or clarification. Ultimately, aside from some minor issues, the decision was released but it took 6 weeks, rather than 2/3 days.

2. The CLSO is an untested assertion from HMRC of their view of what the tax should be. By their own admittance they have insufficient information to determine all the taxes due (esp IHT) and reserve the right to revisit parts of the "settlement" in the future. It does not cover the potential tax position when the loans are finally dealt with. If the Murray case is an HMRC loss BUT you have settled, then you have lost the right to amend the settlement even if it is then incorrect legally.

QED
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Saunders vs Vautier

http://www.newtonandco-accountants.com/blog/

Interesting read on HMRC argument on rangers and application of Saunders vs Vautier

If it transpires that the sub funds were drafted in this way, then this is a powerful argument in HMRC’s favour. However, while this may result in HMRC winning the PAYE/NIC battle in this case, the facts would be so specific that they may lose the wider war on EBTs in general.

Comment

Has there been any news on the judgement release? rumors seem to indicate HMRC lost again!

Comment

Originally posted by z4thras View Post
                  Has there been any news on the judgement release? rumors seem to indicate HMRC lost again!
                  Until you hear the judgement, rumours are BS.

Comment

Working...
                  X