• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discover letters for years with no tax return.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover letters for years with no tax return.

Hey guys,

I would like to submit my settlement before June 30th, but worried about 08, 09 tax years. I have not received a discovery letter for these years, though at the same time I have not lodged a tax return. I only have discover for years 10 and 11. If I lodge my interest for a settlement, does this mean the HRMC can raise these years in the settlement as I have not lodged a return? Really worried what to do with the June 30th deadline approaching . Or should I not lodge my interest in the settlement, given I have not lodged my tax returns ?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Tgnew View Post
    Hey guys,

I would like to submit my settlement before June 30th, but worried about 08, 09 tax years. I have not received a discovery letter for these years, though at the same time I have not lodged a tax return. I only have discover for years 10 and 11. If I lodge my interest for a settlement, does this mean the HRMC can raise these years in the settlement as I have not lodged a return? Really worried what to do with the June 30th deadline approaching . Or should I not lodge my interest in the settlement, given I have not lodged my tax returns ?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    So you haven't been chased or fined for not lodging a tax return for those 2 years? Out of interest why didn't you file them?

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey71 View Post
      So you haven't been chased or fined for not lodging a tax return for those 2 years? Out of interest why didn't you file them?
      I was fined for not lodging them but after I paid the fines, they never chased them.

It was a bad time for me in relation to deaths in the family, and my mind was elsewhere, well has been for a while, and recieving this letters has not helped.

Comment

Log onto the HMRC portal and see what it says on there for those two years.

Comment

You need some professional advice.

Paying a fine for not lodging a return is not the end of those years and HMRC would be able to open those years once they are filed.

This is however complicated territory and you should therefore:

Lodge the CLSO application with the caveat that you are unsure which years are open.
          Go and get some advice
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
          X