• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiries: Bedouin/Redstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bedouin

Hi People
    i'm new to this so be gentle
    just looking for information on BEDIOUN as I was with them back in 2010/2011 for about 4 weeks offshore in Holland and now have just received a tax demand .. so any info would be appreciated phone number ..email address

Cheers

Comment

Brief update. Letter from HMRC arrived last week, had concluded their investigation and deemed I owed them. They worded it as a payment due on account for the tax year following the year the investigation was opened on, not sure if all APNs are delivered this way. Given it is was for one 6 month period I'm paying it back, thankfully I could absorb the amount, way more fortunate than a lot of people on here from that perspective. Was tired of the letter tennis that was being played and realistically in my case the value of paying for accounting assistance just wasn't sufficient in relation to the demand amount. Hope the rest of you in the same boat have success in fighting especially with the assistance of big group

Comment

Originally posted by thebear14 View Post
        Brief update. Letter from HMRC arrived last week, had concluded their investigation and deemed I owed them. They worded it as a payment due on account for the tax year following the year the investigation was opened on, not sure if all APNs are delivered this way. Given it is was for one 6 month period I'm paying it back, thankfully I could absorb the amount, way more fortunate than a lot of people on here from that perspective. Was tired of the letter tennis that was being played and realistically in my case the value of paying for accounting assistance just wasn't sufficient in relation to the demand amount. Hope the rest of you in the same boat have success in fighting especially with the assistance of big group
        That sounds like something you should be able to appeal. If there was no DOTaS noumber and the letter doesn't specifically state "Accelerated Payment Notice" (usually being preceded by another letter, saying that "APN will be sent in couple weeks"), then it is not an APN, and most probably appeal-able. Best check with your adviser before you pay anything to HMRC.
        Last edited by SomeDude; 28 September 2016, 13:44.

Comment

Spoke to my accountant (who I wasn't with when I joined bedouin) and they indicated it was a new contrived APN notice. I'm just going to settle it, as mentioned it's a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things

Comment

Spoke to my accountant (who I wasn't with when I joined bedouin) and they indicated it was a new contrived APN notice. I'm just going to settle it, as mentioned it's a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things
            It's your decision, I'm not familiar with details of this scheme in that particular year (as often there were different circumstances for different tax years) - just saying that HMRC has to meet very specific requirements to be able to issue an APN, one of which is DOTaS number. This also doesn't sound like usual APN process - in most cases the years were being "opened" by HMRC years ago, then nothing for a long time, and then "pre-APN" letter, soon followed by actual APN (which cannot be appealed). No information of "investigations" or "conclusions", so if I were you I would check very carefully if what you got is in fact an APN (it should be stated very clearly), as everything else can be appealed and payment at least postponed (until HMRC proves their case in a tribunal, which they're not interested in).

But, like I said - it is your decision. All I mean is that you should take a look at the neighboring thread about Sam Allardyce, and make sure you're not one of the people he was talking about..
            Last edited by SomeDude; 28 September 2016, 14:14.

Comment

Sounds like a "nudge", of the type we've come to expect from Behvioural Insights Ltd.

The demand is possibly illegal.

I won't comment any further though, since the OP has already come up with his own
              justifications to his "rolling over".

It would be good however if everyone could keep in mind that by "rolling over", they are not only giving HMRC a "quick win", but more crucially they are justifying them in these "trying it on" tactics.

In case you haven't noticed, they are using this as a big experiement in behavioural psychology, and we are the lab animals.
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Any chance of redacting the personal bits and posting up the letter?

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                  Sounds like a "nudge", of the type we've come to expect from Behvioural Insights Ltd.

The demand is possibly illegal.

I won't comment any further though, since the OP has already come up with his own
                  justifications to his "rolling over".

It would be good however if everyone could keep in mind that by "rolling over", they are not only giving HMRC a "quick win", but more crucially they are justifying them in these "trying it on" tactics.

In case you haven't noticed, they are using this as a big experiement in behavioural psychology, and we are the lab animals.

Term it rolling over or whatever you like, my accountant is familiar with the process and indicated that's what it was. The calculated amount was a significant % less than expected and I had the value set aside since the investigation was opened.

The monies are paid and I no longer have it hanging over me. Would I have taken the same course of action had the amount been significant? No, probably not and I pity those who are in that position however each case is circumstantial to each individual, I had the funds, the amount was around 25% less than anticipated so the matter is now closed with HMRC.

I made the decision based on personal circumstance as no doubt all of you will

Comment

A "new contrived APN notice"?

I suggest you need a new accountant!

Either it's an APN or it's not.

If you want to settle, then fine, but you need to do it via a contract settlement to protect yourself from HMRC coming back in 2019 for more.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Am dealing with this as well after getting into the situation completely blind to what I was doing.
                      I have an anxiety disorder and am not coping at all.

I have sought professional assistance and am dealing with it, but I can't stand the process and need constant reassurance of which there isn't much when you've been as stupid and as naive as I was. How do people cope day to day with the horrible uncertainty of it all, especially when you're not in a stable job as most contractors are not and are suffering with ill health and other traumatic life events?

Comment

Working...
                      X