• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiries for BestPay schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Enquiries for BestPay schemes

Hi, I have received the initial letter saying they are 'checking' my 2012/13 return. I spent half that year with BestPay but I note that at the bottom of their website, their 'data controller' is Sanzar Consulting - does this mean they are part of Sanzar or should I start a new thread for BestPay?

It actually says Salazar Consulting.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Kent Road View Post
      It actually says Salazar Consulting.
      That's a new one...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Ah, here's a reference to them...

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/odps/en_s...ited_jan20.pdf
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I've moved this to it's own thread as it does not appear to be a Sanzar scheme.

OP - please read your details more carefully.

Comment

Apologies, not sure how I missed that

I've contacted them asking for some scheme details if i need them later and they at least replied to say they have passed the request on to their accountants - not sure if that is for real but time will tell....

Is it worth getting legal insurance in case this goes further? Is there any legal policy that will cover it?
            Last edited by nelmo; 23 November 2014, 10:44.

Comment

Doubt you'll get legal insurance if you're already being investigated.
              Keep us posted on how helpful bestpay are... If they're like most of the other schemes they will be around for a few more month's max..

Comment

I had a mail back from the scheme accountants - they are looking into it, they say.

I was thinking of standard legal insurance for if I want to challenge HMRC. Looking at the small-print for one large firm, they do cover HMRC investigations costs but only if you're self-employed, a sole trader and something else I can't recall - not sure if I count as any of those.

Comment

You can get ir35 insurance, which will pay for legal cover for an hmrc investigation and also cover the tax amount if you lose the case.
                  But my insurance provider would not cover Hmrc enquiries relating to tax avoidance schemes.
                  So you may need to check whether the cover applies to any Hmrc enquiry or only some types.

Comment

Bestpay and others

Some of these companies offering tax saving pay schemes may be illegal under IOM law.

We are seeing cases where HMRC are opening investigations into individual contractors that used these schemes under Code of Practice 9 where fraud is suspected. There is a possibility of criminal prosecution.

Anyone still in any of these schemes should terminate the arrangement immediately in our opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X