• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COP8 Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COP8 Question

Hi

Quick question. Tax year 05/06. Received the COP8 letter dated April 2008. Is it correct that HMRC only have 1 year after the filing deadline ( Jan 2007) in which to open a COP8?

Thanks

Originally posted by FTTM View Post
    Hi

Quick question. Tax year 05/06. Received the COP8 letter dated April 2008. Is it correct that HMRC only have 1 year after the filing deadline ( Jan 2007) in which to open a COP8?

Thanks
    Yes.

Unless that April 2008 letter cites "discovery" then it's invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by FTTM View Post
      Hi

Thanks
      This has been covered before so the following is brief.

HMRC has 1 year from the normal return filing date to open an enquiry.

If the return is late, they have 18 months from the later of the date of submission or the usual enquiry date.

The presence of a COP8 notice indicates that HMRC is using its powers of "discovery" (section 29 TMA 1970) and if so, they have 4 years in which to make an assessment or give notice of making an assessment.

This is dependent upon personal circumstances and you should take professional advice.
      Last edited by Rob79; 20 November 2014, 13:07. Reason: senior moment

Comment

cop8

So Rob,
        are you saying there are still time limits of sort after a cop8.
        I had cop8 notices 6 and 7 years ago and not a single word or correspondence since until the settlement letter in July. Should I have had an assessment or notice of assessment within that time?

Comment

Good question; I'm in exactly the same boat. COP8 enquiry letters from 6+ years ago and nothing since except for the letter that came mid-year. No assessment figure and nothing showing on my Self Assessment log-in page.

Comment

Originally posted by bandemelbs View Post
            Good question; I'm in exactly the same boat. COP8 enquiry letters from 6+ years ago and nothing since except for the letter that came mid-year. No assessment figure and nothing showing on my Self Assessment log-in page.
            Once HMRC have issued a COP8 within Discovery time limits, they have no time limits on making their next move

Comment

Originally posted by vern19 View Post
              Once HMRC have issued a COP8 within Discovery time limits, they have no time limits on making their next move
              I'd broadly agree with this.

Comment

Working...
              X