• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"PSC Structure" with Aston Mae - is this above board?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"PSC Structure" with Aston Mae - is this above board?

Hi,

I'm a web developer in London with a LTD company. I was looking for ways to reduce my tax and was recommended Aston Mae.

I would like to know your opinion on whether it's above board.

Below is part of the email they sent me:
    -----

<email content removed>
    Last edited by administrator; 7 January 2015, 11:18. Reason: Email content removed on request

I suggest at the very least you ask the promoter for sight of a letter from HMRC that the rules in FA 2014 Sch 17 Part 2 will not apply. I predict that they cannot do this.

Happy to review further via PM but my advice is to carry on as you are and leave this alone.
    Last edited by administrator; 7 January 2015, 11:22. Reason: Details concerning specifics of the arrangement removed by request of Aston Mae

Comment

Bad idea. Walk away, quickly. Seriously.

The best and most tax efficient way to work or a one man band is via your own limited company. Any complex scheme or artificial cash-shipping deal is likely to bite you, very hard and very expensively. If AM had a valid business model why aren't we all using it?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yep, stay well away. There are identical LLP schemes in a lot of trouble.

Comment

Is the OP aware that Aston Mae are going to come after him with a hot poker for putting this on an open forum?
          (And no, I'm not going to delete this quote...)
          Last edited by administrator; 6 January 2015, 13:29. Reason: Email content removed on request
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Is the OP aware that Aston Mae are going to come after him with a hot poker for putting this on an open forum?
            Why would they be upset? Surely they welcome the robust challenge to their operations.....

But the OP should keep well clear.

Comment

Why would they? Nothing I have said is confidential or inflammatory, i'm simply seeking advice on what they have told me.

Comment

Originally posted by baj84 View Post
                Why would they? Nothing I have said is confidential or inflammatory, i'm simply seeking advice on what they have told me.
                Because I've had requests from other posters to delete posts who have cut and pasted less than you (love the picture btw...)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Because I've had requests from other posters to delete posts who have cut and pasted less than you (love the picture btw...)
                  Ah well, I guess time will tell

Out of curiosity, if this is a dodgey scheme, how do they get away with it when they seem to be so open about it? Why doesn't the HMRC close them down?

Comment

Because this keeps HMRC boys employed. Why would HMRC be proactive and close them now, when in 5 years they can start a big project, keep themselves employed and destroy some lives.

Comment

Working...
                    X