• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The HMRC PR Game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The HMRC PR Game

Another terrible day at the office for HMRC's PR team. 100,000 tax payers getting revised tax codes will damage HMRC's credibility even further. Do we give them more powers or less? We certainly can't trust them to raid bank accounts when they chose. A few high profile Jimmy Carr's has helped HMRC, but the overriding perception has to be that this crowd are incompetent. They will look even more out to lunch if they continue with the Rangers case which has almost run its course.

Originally posted by Not Losing Any Sleep View Post
    Another terrible day at the office for HMRC's PR team. 100,000 tax payers getting revised tax codes will damage HMRC's credibility even further. Do we give them more powers or less? We certainly can't trust them to raid bank accounts when they chose. A few high profile Jimmy Carr's has helped HMRC, but the overriding perception has to be that this crowd are incompetent. They will look even more out to lunch if they continue with the Rangers case which has almost run its course.
    I would make two observations.

Firstly those making the policy decisions that HMRC implement JUST DON'T CARE. Their equation is that 90% of the taxpaying public has negative feelings towards the 10% of taxpayers who indulge in some sort of planning and a lot of the PR is aimed at reinforcing that view. Consequently they consider that the 90% will put up with the occasional cock up that can be attributed to computer issues etc so long as they see action against the 10% who "cheat" on their taxes. Whilst a 100,000 coding errors are a minor embarrassment, not pursuing several billion in avoided/evaded tax is a policy failure that will cost votes. For politicians this is a numbers game. Do I keep the 90% happy or the 10%? Have a guess at the answer.

Secondly, morale at HMRC is on the floor. Aside from some in the higher echelons of the agency, the administrative and clerical side of the operation is in disarray as their discretion is stripped away and targets imposed and salary at a standstill. The people running HMRC know this and expect the odd blip. I can't see any Whitehall Secretary of State giving HMRC grief over 100,000 minor errors. I think it was last week (perhaps this) where a report said that 5.5 million (yes MILLION) people have incorrect tax positions for last year, either under or over paid. 100,000 is a drop in a vast and uncaring ocean.

Do not expect HMRC to change course over such peccadillos.

Comment

its all about the FEAR!!! these days, its their biggest weapon, they have no teeth any more.

Comment

Originally posted by SBG View Post
        its all about the FEAR!!! these days, its their biggest weapon, they have no teeth any more.
        Don't be too sure about that.

The character limit here is insufficient to permit an explanation of what HMRC can do, even assuming that their ability to raid your bank account is denied (which hopefully it will be).

In very brief, HMRC can:
        • send you a tax bill that they think is correct;
        • send a baliff to distrain your assets if you don't pay it;
        • apply for a sequestration order on your earnings;
        • apply to put you into bankruptcy and deny you an IVA;
        • publish your name as a tax defaulter;
        • prevent you from working for Government or Local Government;
        • send you to prison.

Seems like a pretty full set of teeth to me.

Comment

HMRC do indeed have a full set of dentures.

The biggest weapon you all have against HMRC is strength in numbers.

Don't let them pick you off, one by one. Form groups as NTRT have done and prepare to do battle.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            HMRC do indeed have a full set of dentures.

The biggest weapon you all have against HMRC is strength in numbers.

Don't let them pick you off, one by one. Form groups as NTRT have done and prepare to do battle.
            +1000.
            It might not be something that comes naturally to contractors, but it's the only way to go.
            United we stand, divided we fall!
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

That's why all should continue at all fronts. I am still responded to my MP who has been writing back to Mr Gauke. Not leaving any stone unturned from my side

Comment

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
                That's why all should continue at all fronts. I am still responded to my MP who has been writing back to Mr Gauke. Not leaving any stone unturned from my side
                It would be very helpful if somebody could post a template latter to MP regarding these new laws and nasty tactics of HMRC. Has anyone posted such a thing?
                Not that I'm lazy as such, just don't want to reinvent the wheel!

Comment

Template Letter

Originally posted by parallelmonogamist View Post
                  It would be very helpful if somebody could post a template latter to MP regarding these new laws and nasty tactics of HMRC. Has anyone posted such a thing?
                  Not that I'm lazy as such, just don't want to reinvent the wheel!
                  I have a template letter (found somewhere else on t'web) which I sent to my MP in July, plus the letter I received in reply from that nice Mr Gauke - I will post both a.s.a.p.
                  "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next ..."

Comment

Questions being asked by Commons Public Accounts Committee

It appears that some politicians are (finally) beginning to question the speed of HMRC enquiries into tax avoidence - let's hope this extends in future to the legality and morality of these enquiries ...

MPs: HMRC tax avoidance crackdown

(BTW - This was also reported in The Times today - Pg 11).
                    "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next ..."

Comment

Working...
                    X