• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement Opportunity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received my lovely letter from them this morning. I won't get the 30 minutes of my life back unfortunately but it was slightly entertaining as a piece of Government propaganda.

I won't be settling.

Comment

Did any one approached HMRC for caluclations?

Comment

Originally posted by doordarshini View Post
        Goodness no. Do not engage them in conversation.

Comment

Any next step suggestions

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
          Goodness no. Do not engage them in conversation.
          Any suggestions on next steps? Is anyone planning to form pool and represents...mine goes back to year 2007 and 2008 and that company does not exists now. Don't know what to do?

Comment

Why not engage them?

Comment

Settlement Opportubity letter received today

Hi guys

Yes, received my letter this morning too, re tax year to 5/4/2011.

My loans for that year were £21.8k in total .... anyone got any idea how much they would ask for on that figure? (Tax plus interest)
              Last edited by LordF; 26 July 2014, 17:28.

Comment

I don't understand why we should not engage with HMRC. They put in a second class stamp and send out whatever tulip they want.
                We all should be reply that we wish to settle if they can clearly explain how Boyle case applies to ours.
                I am sure they cannot come back with an answer.

Comment

They provide an explanation in the letter as to why they deem Boyle similar

Comment

Originally posted by varunksingh View Post
                    I don't understand why we should not engage with HMRC. They put in a second class stamp and send out whatever tulip they want.
                    We all should be reply that we wish to settle if they can clearly explain how Boyle case applies to ours.
                    I am sure they cannot come back with an answer.
                    The main reason not to engage unless you plan on settling is you don't want them correctly calculating the APN value, when they get a letter on day 89 post APN stating they've got the sum wrong they'll then need to calculate the correct figures which knowing how bad they are at basic maths may take some time, then get back to you with the correct figure and another 30 days

Note also section 14 - once the amount is agreed they talk about 90 days to pay, leave it until Jan even if you do want to settle.
                    Last edited by Dylan; 26 July 2014, 20:22.

Comment

Trying to work out some things but don't currently understand the interest, so...
                      If I owed 10,000 in tax year 2010/11 would I only be liable for 3% on that amount in total or would that be 3% per year? i.e. would I owe

300 for 2010/11 300 for 2011/12 300 for 2012/13 300 for 2013/14 = £1,200 or would it just be £300 or is it even worse than that

Comment

Working...
                      X