• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£10 a day in a cafe in Blackburn market aged 15. Shifting the chairs to mop the floors gave me guns

Comment

And it seems my other daughter is likely to get an apprenticeship with one of the multinationals here, as a lab. technician. Starting January 2015, first year she'll get about £500 a month. Second year, up to £2000 a month.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Age 15, assembly line of boilers for coffee makers.

With the money I bought my first electric guitar, which I still have. My precious..

Comment

A paper round when I was a young teen. When I was 18 I got a summer job as a cashier in a 24hour petrol station - horrible job with many horrible people. Got threatened at gun point twice and got loads of hassle from the manager when I refused to give someone a free car wash until she explained she was the area manager.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Making dinner in old people's home. It was lovely.

Washing up in the Berni Inn & Happy eater wasn't so much fun.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My first role was a executive press distributor for my street. I got £5 a week.

Comment

McDonalds when I was at college. I turned up once or twice a month to work when I needed money, hated it. They moved me from making burgers to doing the French fries, I didn't have what it takes to do the burgers.

Comment

At 16 I worked for Sandfords (big DIY stores that were taken over by Texas Homecare) Friday after school and Saturday. Which wasn't a bad job really. Can't remember how much for.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

My first paid work was handing out leaflets for a touristy shop in Cornwall during the summer at around 15 (I guess). I also worked on the tills at Tesco one summer and as a barman in the local pub the next during the long university holidays... not because I really wanted the money but because my parents were of the opinion that long holidays were bad for you

My first proper job was a games developer right out of university and I've been in software - the career I planned since before starting university - ever since.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Paper round
                      Shelf stacker
                      Trolly wally
                      Royal Marine
                      Barman -------------------------------------- \_____________ Student
                      Sheet metal factory worker -----------------/
                      Software dev
                      Chief biscuit taster/dolphin trainer & MyCo.

Comment

Working...
                      X